The Hunters' Tryste Inn, 1845
|LGA:||Shire of Mitchell|
Early history[change | change source]
Ned Kelly[change | change source]
The town is known as the birthplace of bushranger Ned Kelly. He lived there as a small boy. His birth details aren't known, but he was probably born at his grandfather, James Quinn's farm. A cottage where the Kelly family lived for a short time is still standing today, located on Kelly Street. It is recorded that John Kelly built this house in about 1859 when Ned was about five years old. Dan Kelly and Kate Kelly were born in the house. The Primary School is a bluestone building once a church where the Kelly family prayed. Sitting on a hillside, this gothic style building was built between 1857 and 1862. The sacristy and chancel were added in 1877.
Mount Fraser[change | change source]
Near Beveridge is Mt Fraser, an extinct volcanic cone. It last erupted about 1 million years ago. It is about 120 metres in height above the surrounding land. From this spot the explorers Hume and Hovell first saw Port Phillip Bay on 14 December1824. A quarry now operates at the side of the hill.
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Beveridge, Victoria|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Beveridge (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC25159&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- "Beveridge". Redreaming the Plain. http://www.redreaming.info/DisplayStory.asp?id=47. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "Beveridge". The Ned Kelly Trail. http://www.thekellytrail.com/nedkelly/towns/town/beveridge/2. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "John Kelly house". nedonthenet. http://www.nedonthenet.com/kelly_house.htm. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "Kelly Beveridge house". Iron Outlaw. http://www.ironoutlaw.com/html/writings_webb_01.html. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "Beveridge, Victoria" (html). The Age Travel. http://www.theage.com.au/news/Victoria/Beveridge/2005/02/17/1108500206253.html. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- "Hematite from Fe Quarry, Mt. Frazer, Beveridge". Mineral and Locality database. http://www.mindat.org/locentry-127887.html. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- Bill Denheld 'Where was Ned Kelly Born?'