|Written by||Tite Kubo|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||August 20, 2001 – August 22, 2016|
|Anime television series|
Bleach (ブリーチ Burīchi, romanized as BLEACH in Japan) is a manga series created by Tite Kubo. It ran seventy four volumes for fifteen years, and was adapted into an anime series, two original video animations, four anime films, seven rock musicals and video games. Compilation volumes of the manga have sold over fifty million copies in Japan. The series follows a high school student who has an ability to visit spirits. After befriending a female shinigami, they work together to defend Japan from spiritual monsters and cleanse spirits. As the series progresses, they explore the world of the afterlife.
Media information[change | change source]
The manga was first released in August 2001 in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. New Japanese-language chapters are featured weekly in the same magazine. The chapters are complied in seven-to-nine chapter books every few months. The anime series iwas broadcast on Wednesdays by TV Tokyo in Japan. The first 63 episodes were based on the manga, and the next 46 were original to the anime. Beginning with episode 110, the anime has returned to the manga storyline, yet has parts from the previous 46 filler episodes. There are no plans to stop making the series. Also, two OVAs have been produced and two animated films, Bleach: Memories of Nobody, which was released in Japan on December 16, 2006, and Bleach: The Diamond Dust Rebellion, which was released on December 22, 2007. VIZ Media released twenty six English language volumes of the manga in North America, and many scanlation groups release unofficial English translations of new chapters.
Introduction[change | change source]
Ichigo Kurosaki can see and visit spirits. As the series progresses, he and his friends protect both worlds from villains.
Main characters[change | change source]
- Ichigo Kurosaki (黒崎 一護 Kurosaki Ichigo) Voiced by Masakazu Morita (Japanese), Johnny Yong Bosch (English)
- The protagonist high school student, who has an ability to see spirits.
- Rukia Kuchiki (朽木 ルキア Kuchiki Rukia) Voiced by Fumiko Orikasa (Japanese), Michelle Ruff (English)
- A shinigami lieutenant. Her brother, Byakuya, is the captain of sixth squad.
- Orihime Inoue (井上 織姫 Inoue Orihime) Voiced by Yuki Matsuoka (Japanese), Stephanie Sheh (English)
- An orphaned classmate and one of Ichigo's friends. She has an ability to heal others.
- Yasutora "Chad" Sado (茶渡 泰虎 Sado Yasutora) Voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto (Japanese), Jamieson Price (English)
- A Japanese-Mexican orphan with super strength.
- Kisuke Urahara (浦原 喜助 Urahara Kisuke) Voiced by Shinichiro Miki (Japanese), Michael Lindsay (English)
- The owner of the candy store and one of the shinigami.
- Uryū Ishida (石田 雨竜 Ishida Uryū) Voiced by Noriaki Sugiyama (Japanese), Derek Stephen Prince (English)
- An intelligence archer.
- Renji Abarai (阿散井 恋次 Abarai Renji) Voiced by Kentaro Ito (Japanese), Wally Wingert (English)
- An elite shinigami for the 6th Division lieutenant and Rukia's friend.
References[change | change source]
- "The Official Website for Bleach". Viz Media. Retrieved October 24, 2017.