The Boston Celtics are an American professional basketball team. They play their home games in the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. They are a part of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and play in the Atlantic Division.
History[change | change source]
The Celtics were one of the first NBA teams. Since their start in 1913, they have been the most successful teams, winning 17 NBA championships, including eight championships in a row at one point. The Celtics' seventeen championships is more than any other team. The Celtics play their home games at the TD Garden.
From 2007 to 2013, they were lead by the big three: Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen, leading the team to the 2008 championship. But in July 2012, Allen was traded to the Miami Heat (where he won his second championship in 2013) and in July 2013, Garnett and Pierce were traded to the Brooklyn Nets.
Rival Teams[change | change source]
Celtics-Lakers Rivalry[change | change source]
The rivalry between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers is between two most of the best franchises in NBA history. It has been called the NBA's best rivalry. The two teams have met a record twelve times in the NBA Finals, starting with their first Finals meeting in 1959. They would go on to win the league in the 1920s and the 1980s, playing each other six times in the 1960s and three times in the 1980s.
The rivalry had been less known since the retirements of Magic Johnson and Larry Bird in the early 1990s, but in 2008, it happened again when the Celtics and Lakers met in the Finals for the first time since 1987, with the Celtics winning the series in six games. They played once again in the 2010 NBA Finals which the Lakers won in seven games. The two teams are tied for the highest number of championships (17); together, the 34 championships account for almost half of the 74 championships in NBA history.
References[change | change source]
- "NBA.com/Stats–Boston Celtics seasons". Stats.NBA.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "History: Team by Team" (PDF). 2018-19 Official NBA Guide. NBA Properties, Inc. October 8, 2018. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "Creation of a Logo". Celtics.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved March 4, 2018.
- Snow, Taylor C. (September 21, 2017). "Celtics Showcase New Nike Uniform System". Celtics.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- "Boston Celtics Reproduction and Usage Guideline Sheet". NBA Properties, Inc. May 2, 2018. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- NBA Media Ventures, LLC (January 25, 2017). "Celtics, GE Announce Multi-Year Partnership". Press release. http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pressrelease/celtics-ge-announce-multiyear-partnership. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- "Boston Basketball Partners Assume Ownership of Celtics Franchise". Celtics.com. NBA Media Ventures, LLC. December 31, 2002. Retrieved May 31, 2019.
- Team Index, basketball-reference.com. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Celtics rebuild, trade Garnett and Pierce to Nets". National Basketball Association.
- "NBA;s Best Rivalries". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
|National Basketball Association|
|Eastern Conference||Western Conference|
|Boston Celtics||Chicago Bulls||Atlanta Hawks||Denver Nuggets||Golden State Warriors||Dallas Mavericks|
|Brooklyn Nets||Cleveland Cavaliers||Charlotte Hornets||Minnesota Timberwolves||Los Angeles Clippers||Houston Rockets|
|New York Knicks||Detroit Pistons||Miami Heat||Oklahoma City Thunder||Los Angeles Lakers||Memphis Grizzlies|
|Philadelphia 76ers||Indiana Pacers||Orlando Magic||Portland Trail Blazers||Phoenix Suns||New Orleans Pelicans|
|Toronto Raptors||Milwaukee Bucks||Washington Wizards||Utah Jazz||Sacramento Kings||San Antonio Spurs|
|Annual events: All-Star Weekend (All-Star Game (MVP) · Rookie Challenge · Shooting Stars Competition · Skills Challenge · Slam Dunk Contest · Three-point Shootout) · Draft · Finals (MVP) · Playoffs · Summer League|
|Other: 50 Greatest Players · Arenas · Criticisms and controversies · Dress code · Europe Live Tour · G League · Larry O'Brien Trophy · List of champions · List of current team rosters · List of head coaches · List of players (foreign players) · Midwest Division · NBA TV · Records (All-Star Game) · Salary Cap · WNBA|