COVID-19 pandemic in Belgium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|COVID-19 pandemic in Belgium|
|First outbreak||Wuhan, Hubei, China|
|Arrival date||3 February 2020|
(2 years, 7 months, 3 weeks and 5 days ago)
|Confirmed cases||54,288[nb 1]|
|8,903 (including 3,721 suspected cases) [nb 3] |
4,242 in hospitals (including 187 suspected cases)
Cases[change | change source]
As of 14 May 2020, there have been 54,288 confirmed cases reported by the Belgian authorities, with a total of 8,924 deaths and 14,111 discharged patients.
Notes[change | change source]
- The actual number of infections is estimated to be much higher than the number of cases confirmed by a laboratory test.
- The official reports do not refer to recovered people but to discharged patients.
- The total number of death cases in Belgium also includes suspected death cases, including those in foster and care homes where only 23% of the reported death cases have been confirmed as CoVID-19 positive.
It is important to note that in many other countries, the reported deaths following a CoVID-19 infections are only accounted for when they occur in hospital. This is an important note for comparison purposes.
References[change | change source]
- "COVID-19 - Epidemiologische situatie" (PDF). Sciensano. 13 May 2020. Archived (PDF) from the original on 16 March 2020. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- David Cyranoski (26 February 2020). "Mystery deepens over animal source of coronavirus". Nature. 579 (7797): 18–19. Bibcode:2020Natur.579...18C. doi:10.1038/d41586-020-00548-w. PMID 32127703.
- "One repatriated Belgian has tested positive for the novel coronavirus". Federal Public Service (FPS) Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment. 4 February 2020. Archived from the original on 6 April 2020. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "COVID-19 Belgian leaves hospital". VRT NWS. 16 February 2020. Retrieved 16 February 2020.
- "6 new cases of Covid-19 by the end of the spring holidays". info-coronavirus.be. Federal Public Service for Health, Food Chain Safety and Environment. 2 March 2020. Archived from the original on 16 May 2020. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- Lisa Bradshaw (2 March 2020). "Seven confirmed coronavirus cases in Belgium following holiday week". Flanders Today.
- "COVID-19 –BULLETIN EPIDEMIOLOGIQUE DU 14 MAY 2020" (PDF). epidemio.wiv-isp.be. 14 May 2020.
- Qiu, Jane (20 March 2020). "Covert coronavirus infections could be seeding new outbreaks". Nature. doi:10.1038/d41586-020-00822-x. PMID 32203376. S2CID 214629145. Retrieved 5 April 2020.