COVID-19 pandemic in Ecuador
|COVID-19 pandemic in Ecuador|
10-99 Confirmed cases reported
100-999 Confirmed cases reported 1,000-9,999 Confirmed cases reportedMore of 10,000 Confirmed cases reported
|Arrival date||14 February 2020|
(5 months, 3 weeks and 2 days)
Confirmed 29 February 2020
(5 months, 1 week and 1 day)
|2,334 (+1,544 suspected deaths)[note 1]|
|‡Suspected cases have not been confirmed as being due to this strain by laboratory tests, although some other strains may have been ruled out.|
The COVID-19 pandemic was reported to have spread to Ecuador on 29 February 2020. That was when a woman in her 70s tested positive for the virus. Ecuador was described in April as the growing "epicentre" of the pandemic in Latin America.
Deaths[change | change source]
The city of Guayaquil has had so many deaths that bodies are being left in the street. Ecuador gave out cardboard coffins because the country had diffculty removing all the dead bodies. The government was planning to build emergency cemeteries to dispose of the bodies which are left in the streets.
Numbers[change | change source]
The number of deaths was believed to be higher than the official figure because not enough testing was being done. A New York Times analysis found 7,600 more deaths had happened from 1 March to 15 April as the mortality rate spiked to three times as much as usual. That showed that the official death toll was lower than the actual death toll.
Current number of cases by provinces[change | change source]
|Provinces ||Confirmed Cases||Confirmed Deaths |
|Indeterminated area (Rapid Test)||8,937||–|
|Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas||389||39|
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Coronavirus Ecuador" (in Spanish). Gobierno de la República de Ecuador.
- "Casos de coronavirus en Ecuador, miércoles 13 de mayo: 30486 confirmados, 2334 fallecidos" (in Spanish). El Universo. 8 May 2020.
- "Uncollected bodies lie for days in the streets of Ecuador the emerging epicentre of the coronavirus in Latin America". Stuff/Fairfax. 4 April 2020.
- "Ecuador coronavirus: Bodies are being left in the streets in an overwhelmed city". msn.com. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- Phillips, Tom; Moncada, Blanca (2020-04-05). "Ecuador: cardboard coffins distributed amid coronavirus fears". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-04-08.
- Ecuador distributes cardboard coffins to cope with Covid-19 – CNN Video, retrieved 2020-04-08
- "Ecuador builds emergency cemeteries due to coronavirus outbreak". Reuters. 2020-04-08. Retrieved 2020-04-08.
- "Coronavirus nightmare in Ecuador's main city Guayaquil – pictures". BBC. 17 April 2020.
- Cabrera, José María León; Kurmanaev, Anatoly (23 April 2020). "Ecuador's Death Toll During Outbreak Is Among the Worst in the World". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- "Actualización de casos de coronavirus en Ecuador – Ministerio de Salud Pública" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-04-10.