Adam Richard Wiles|
17 January 1984
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Calvin Harris (born Adam Richard Wiles, 17 January 1984) is a Scottish singer, songwriter, DJ, and record producer. He was born to English parents. He grew up in Dumfries, Scotland. Harris was paid more than any other DJ in 2013.
2006–08: Early career and I Created Disco[change | change source]
His first album I Created Disco was released on 18 June 2007. The album contained uptempo electronic sounding songs that were influenced by music from the 1980s. To promote I Created Disco, Harris left to go on a tour of the UK, supporting Faithless and Groove Armada. I Created Disco featured the single "Acceptable in the 80s", a tribute to the style and culture of the decade. The song reached the top ten on the UK singles chart, remaining on the chart for fifteen weeks. "The Girls" was the album's second charted single. Harris' second single reached number three in the UK Singles Chart. Another single from the album was "Merrymaking at My Place"; however, it only reached #43 in the UK chart.
2009–10: Ready for the Weekend and further recognition[change | change source]
On 23 January 2009, Pete Tong played Harris' single "I'm Not Alone" on BBC Radio 1.
Ready for the Weekend, Harris' second album, was released 14 August 2009. It went straight to number one in the UK Albums Chart.
2011–13: Worldwide prominence and 18 Months[change | change source]
In September 2011, Barbadian recording artist Rihanna released the single "We Found Love" for her sixth studio album, Talk That Talk. The song was written and produced by Harris. The song was a worldwide success, topping record charts around the world, including those in Canada, the UK, and the US. It was named the 25th best-performing song of all time by Billboard.
In 2012, Harris released his third album 18 Months. Eight singles were released from it. They included "We Found Love", "Bounce" with American R&B singer Kelis, and "I Need Your Love" with English singer-songwriter Ellie Goulding.
In 2013, Harris' album 18 Months was nominated for Best Dance/Electronica Album at the 2014 Grammy Awards.
2014–present: Motion and other projects[change | change source]
Harris released the single "Summer" in 2014. This was followed by the album Motion which featured the song "Outside" with Ellie Goulding.
Personal life[change | change source]
In 2007, Harris also recorded with Australian entertainer Kylie Minogue. He had caught Minogue's attention after his recordings had been passed on to her by another record producer. Harris says that working with her was "surreal, but fun" although revealed to Mixmag in 2007 to "needing a few drinks before meeting her." It has been confirmed that Harris has co-written and produced two songs on the forthcoming Kylie album, "In My Arms" and "Heart Beat Rock".
On 20 May 2016, Harris was hospitalized after being involved in a car accident. He was a passenger in a Cadillac sport utility vehicle that was hit by a Volkswagen Beetle. Harris was treated for a cut on the nose and later was released. Two of his DJ sets had to be canceled.
Other websites[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Calvin Harris Strikes Three-Year Deal to Keep DJing in Las Vegas". Billboard. 27 January 2015. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Leatherman, Benjamin (25 April 2013). "Calvin Harris @ Maya Day and Nightclub". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Brandle, Lars (22 April 2013). "Calvin Harris Sets Chart Record, Becomes U.K.'s New 'King of Pop'". Billboard. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Wilson, Jen (5 June 2009). "Calvin Harris Books U.K. Tour". Billboard. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Calvin Harris, Tiësto and David Guetta top Forbes Highest Paid DJs list for 2013 - Dancing Astronaut". 14 August 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Web wonder Calvin wins over Kylie". BBC. February 19, 2007. Retrieved March 12, 2007.
- "Calvin To Support Groove Armada On UK Tour". calvinharris.tv. Retrieved June 12, 2007.
- ""Acceptable in the 80s" World Charts. acharts.us. Retrieved June 12, 2007.
- "Greatest of All Time Hot 100 Singles". Billboard. Prometheus Media LLC. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- "Grammy Nominees 2014: See The List". Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Heller, Corinne (May 21, 2016). "Calvin Harris Injured in Car Accident, Shows Canceled". E! News. E! Entertainment Television, LLC. Retrieved June 17, 2016.