Caroline of Brunswick
|Caroline of Brunswick|
|Queen consort of the United Kingdom and Hanover|
|Tenure||29 January 1820 – 7 August 1821|
|Born||17 May 1768|
Brunswick, Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, Holy Roman Empire
|Died||7 August 1821 (aged 53)|
Hammersmith, Middlesex, England
|Burial||25 August 1821|
George IV of the United Kingdom
(m. 1795; separated 1796)
|Issue||Princess Charlotte of Wales|
|Father||Charles William Ferdinand, Duke of Brunswick|
|Mother||Princess Augusta of Great Britain|
Caroline of Brunswick (17 May 1768 – 7 August 1821) was the wife of King George IV. Her parents were Charles William Ferdinand, Duke of Brunswick and Princess Augusta of Great Britain.
Caroline married George on 8 April 1795, when he was the Prince of Wales. That made Caroline the Princess of Wales. When George became king on 29 January 1820, Caroline became Queen Consort of the United Kingdom. Caroline and George had one child, Princess Charlotte of Wales. They separated in 1796.
Caroline died on 7 August 1821 at the age of 53. Her physicians thought she had an intestinal obstruction, but she may have had cancer. There were also rumours at the time that she had been poisoned.
Ancestry[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Shingleton, Hugh M (November–December 2006). "The Tumultuous Marriage of The Prince and The Princess of Wales". ACOG Clinical Review. 11 (6): 13–16.
- ↑ Plowden, p. 276; Robins, p. 313
- ↑ Robins, p. 313
- ↑ Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the kings and princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 53.
Bibliography[change | change source]
- Plowden, Alison (2005). Caroline and Charlotte: Regency Scandals 1795–1821. Stroud, Gloucestershire: Sutton Publishing. ISBN 0-7509-4173-1.
- Robins, Jane (2006). Rebel Queen: How the Trial of Caroline Brought England to the Brink of Revolution. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-7434-7826-7.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Caroline of Brunswick-Luneburg at Encyclopædia Britannica
- Pictures of Caroline of Brunswick from London's National Portrait Gallery
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. Vol. 5 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
Caroline of Brunswick
Cadet branch of the House of WelfBorn: 17 May 1768 Died: 7 August 1821
Title last held byCharlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
| Queen consort of the United Kingdom and Hanover
Title next held byAdelaide of Saxe-Meiningen