Charles Thomas Close
July 5, 1940
Monroe, Washington, U.S.
|Died||August 19, 2021 (aged 81)|
Oceanside, New York, U.S.
|Education||B.A., University of Washington, 1962; M.F.A., Yale University|
|Known for||Photorealistic painter, photographer|
|Spouse(s)||Leslie Rose, Sienna Shields|
Charles Thomas "Chuck" Close (July 5, 1940 – August 19, 2021) was an American painter, artist and photographer.
Early life[change | change source]
Career[change | change source]
Close achieved fame as a photorealist, through his massive-scale portraits. Close often paints abstract portraits of himself and others, which hang in collections internationally. Although a spinal artery collapse in 1988 left him severely paralyzed, he has continued to paint and produce work that remains sought after by museums and collectors. Close also creates photo portraits using a very large format camera.
Personal life[change | change source]
Gallery[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Hylton, Wil S. (July 13, 2016). "The Mysterious Metamorphosis of Chuck Close". The New York Times. Retrieved July 14, 2016.
- Newhall, Edith (April 15, 1991). "Close to the Edge". New York Magazine. pp. 40–41..
- Helen A. Harrison (February 22, 2004), Following the Light, and Making Faces New York Times.
- "An Artist Finds the Perfect Red". 6 March 2014 – via Wall Street Journal.
- Wendy Goodman (May 28, 2007), Buy, Rip, Repeat. New York Magazine.
- NY Times. 13.07.2016. Wil S Hylton. The Mysterious Metamorphosis of Chuck Close
- "Chuck Close, artist known for photorealist portraits, dead at 81". NY Post. Retrieved August 20, 2021.
- Johnson, Ken; Pogrebin, Robin (2021-08-19). "Chuck Close, Artist of Outsized Reality, Dies at 81". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2021-08-19.
- "Chuck Close, Photorealist with an Acute Eye for Detail, Is Dead at 81". Art News. Retrieved August 20, 2021.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chuck Close.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Chuck Close|