Circle of Life
|"Circle of Life"|
|Song by Elton John|
|from the album The Lion King soundtrack|
|Released||August 9, 1994|
Santa Monica, California
BOP Recording Studios
Mmabatho, South Africa
|Label||Walt Disney Records|
|Songwriter(s)||Elton John (music)|
Tim Rice (lyrics)
|Elton John singles chronology|
"Circle of Life" is a song from the 1994 animated Disney movie The Lion King. The song's lyrics (words) were written by Tim Rice, and the music was written by Elton John. It was sung by Carmen Twillie and Lebo M. The song was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Song in 1994. Two other Lion King songs were also nominated: "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" and "Hakuna Matata." "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" won the award.
The beginning of the song is written in the Zulu language. The meaning is:
|Zulu lyrics||English meaning|
|Ingonyama nengw' enamabala||A lion and a leopard come to this open place|
|Nants ingonyama bakithi Baba||Here comes a lion, Father|
|Siyo nqoba||We will conquer|
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Josh Wilmes, ed. (24 May 1994). "The Lion King: Film Notes". lionking.org. Retrieved 2011-07-03.
- ↑ Rosenthal 2001, p. 379.
- ↑ Rosental 2001, p. 380. sfn error: no target: CITEREFRosental2001 (help)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Willis 2000, p. 52.
- ↑ "1994 Academy Awards Nominees and Winners by Category". BoxOfficeMojo.com. Retrieved 2011-07-03.
- ↑ Burt 2007, p. 774.
- ↑ ""Circle of Life" lyrics". lionking.org. Retrieved 2011-07-03.
Works cited[change | change source]
- Burt, Richard (2007). Shakespeares after Shakespeare: an encyclopedia of the Bard in mass media and popular culture. Vol. 2. Greenwood Press. ISBN 978-0313331183.
- Rosenthal, Elizabeth (2001). His Song: The Musical Journey of Elton John. Billboard Books. ISBN 978-0823088935.
- Willis, John (2000). Screen World 1995 Film Annual. Vol. 46. Applause Books. ISBN 978-1557832337.