|- elevation||525 m (1,722 ft)|
|- elevation||175 m (574 ft)|
|Area||204.5 km² (79 sq mi) |
|Population||32,244 (2017) |
|Density||158 /km² (409 /sq mi)|
|Canton||24 February 1843|
|- summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
History[change | change source]
On 1 January 2012, the canton lost the commune of Hoscheid when it was made part of the new commune Parc Hosingen in the Clervaux canton, and the communes of Ermsdorf and Medernach were merged to make the new commune of Vallée de l'Ernz.
Geography[change | change source]
It is bordered on the north by the cantons Clervaux and Vianden, on the east by the German district of Bitburg-Prüm (part of the Land of Rhineland-Palatinate) and the canton of Echternach, in the south by the canton of Mersch, and to the west by the cantons Redange and Wiltz.
Communes[change | change source]
The Diekirch canton consists of the following 10 communes (2017 population).
- Bettendorf (2,753)
- Bourscheid (1,820)
- Diekirch (6,472)
- Erpeldange-sur-Sûre (2,392)
- Ettelbruck (8,833)
- Feulen (2,062)
- Mertzig (2,115)
- Reisdorf (1,202)
- Schieren (2,004)
- Vallée de l'Ernz (2,591), formed in January 1, 2012 from:
Related pages[change | change source]
Gallery[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canton of Diekirch.|
- "Surface area of the cantons and municipalities". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- "Population by canton and municipality 1821 - 2017". Statistics Portal - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "Mémorial A, 2011, No. 110" (PDF) (in French). Service central de législation. Retrieved 26 April 2014.