Elvebyen, The River City
|• Mayor (2019)||Monica Myrvold Berg (Ap)|
|• Total||137 km2 (53 sq mi)|
|• Land||135 km2 (52 sq mi)|
|Area rank||366 in Norway|
(30 September 2020)
|• Total||101 738|
|• Rank||6 in Norway|
|• Change (10 years)||9.7%|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-3005|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
Drammen was established as a municipality January 1, 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). The rural municipality of Skoger was merged with Drammen January 1, 1964. (And then transferred from the county of Vestfold to the county of Buskerud.)
Drammen is one of the larger cities in Norway, and is about 47 km from the capital of Norway, Oslo. The city centre is at the end of a valley, on both sides of the river Drammenselva, and where the river meets the Drammensfjord. Drammen is also the main city for car and fruit import in Norway.
The name[change | change source]
Geography[change | change source]
The city centre lies at the end of a valley, on both sides of the Drammenselva river, and where the river meets the Drammensfjord. Drammen is also the main harbor for car and fruit import in Norway. The forests around Drammen are called Drammensmarka. In the summer it is a popular area for hiking. In the winter skiing tracks are made and lighting make it cross country skiing possible during the evenings.
Famous people[change | change source]
- Martinus Rørbye, painter (1803–1848)
- Marcus Thrane, labour movement leader (1817–1890)
- Hans Peter Faye, sugar plantation pioneer (1859–1928)
- Johan Halvorsen, composer, conductor and musician (1864–1935)
- Betzy Kjelsberg, politician and feminist (1866–1950)
- Geirr Tveitt, composer and pianist (1908–1981)
- Charles Mathiesen, speed skater (1911–1994)
- Hans-Jørgen Holman, musicologist and educationalist (1925–1986)
- Sverre Holm, actor (1931–2005)
- Sten Stensen, speed skater (1947–)
- Ole Hermann Borgan, referee (1964–)
- Johann Olav Koss, speed skater (1968–)
- Kim Christiansen, snowboarder (1976–)
Sport clubs[change | change source]
- SBK Drafn 21 Norwegian Championships in bandy.
- Drammen golfklubb. Founded 1989.
- IF Hellas
- SBK Skiold
- Strømsgodset IF. Founded February 10th 1907. Four Norwegian championships in football (1969, 1970, 1973, 1993). Winner of the Norwegian football league 1970. 6 Norwegian championships in bandy.
- IF Sturla
- Drammen HK Handball club in Men's European Champions League (07/08)
References[change | change source]
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet.
- "Forskrift om målvedtak i kommunar og fylkeskommunar" (in Norwegian). Lovdata.no.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Statistics Norway about Drammen Archived 2004-05-30 at the Wayback Machine
- History of Drammen
- Weather forecast and map for Drammen
- Webcamera, Drammen Archived 2008-03-24 at the Wayback Machine
- iDrammen, local site for news and events Archived 2007-04-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Drammen Photoclub, pictures from Drammen Archived 2008-05-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Drammen og Oplands turistforening
- Drammen theatre
- Drammen museum
- Drammens Sportsfiskere
- FIS World Cup Sprint Cross Country in Drammen
- Drammen Elvefestival