8 July 1921
|Alma mater||University of Paris|
|La méthode (1977–2004, 6 vols.)|
Criticism of structuralism
Criticism of Ludwig von Bertalanffy's systems theory
Edgar Morin (French: [mɔʁɛ̃]; born Edgar Nahoum on 8 July 1921) is a French philosopher and sociologist. He has been known for his work on complexity and "complex thought," and for his scholarly contributions to such diverse fields as media studies, politics, sociology, visual anthropology, ecology, education, and systems biology.
Morin holds degrees in history, economics, and law. Though less well known in the United States due to the limited of English translations of his over 60 books, Morin is renowned in the French-speaking world, Europe, and Latin America.
References[change | change source]
- Daniel Bougnoux and Bastien Engelbach, "Entretien avec Edgar Morin (2) : Science et philosophie", nonfiction.fr, 10 April 2008.
- Jennifer Wells, Complexity and Sustainability, Routledge, 2012, p. 134.
- Steven Vertovec (ed.), Routledge International Handbook of Diversity Studies, Routledge, 2014, p. 373.
- Edgar Morin, Restricted complexity, general complexity, 2005.
- François Dosse, History of Structuralism: The sign sets, 1967-present, Volume 2, University of Minnesota Press, 1997, p. 449.
- Sacha Kagan, Art and Sustainability: Connecting Patterns for a Culture of Complexity, transcript Verlag, 2014, p. 171.
- Morin, Edgar (1997-12-30). "An encyclopaedic spirit". Radical Philosophy. Retrieved 2008-04-03.
- Julian Bourg (ed.), After the Deluge: New Perspectives on the Intellectual and Cultural History of Postwar France, Lexington Books, 2004, p. 113.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edgar Morin.|
- The Persecution of Edgar Morin by Doug Ireland
- An interview and short biography on Unesco's web site
- (in French) "La réalité semi-imaginaire de l'homme", chapitre conclusif du livre "Cinéma ou l'homme imaginaire" (1956), reproduit sur le site d'analyse L'oBservatoire (simple appareil).
- A lecture in English http://www.wise-qatar.org/edgar-morin
- A Spanish language website http://www.edgarmorin.org/
- Interview with Edgar Morin http://www.guninetwork.org/resources/guni.talks/edgar-morin