Edward Idris Cassidy AC (5 July 1924 – 10 April 2021) was an Australian Roman Catholic cardinal priest. He was the President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. He was in charge of the Commission of the Holy See for Religious Relations with the Jews. He was made a cardinal on 28 June 1991. He spent most of his career in the diplomatic service of the Holy See. Cassidy was born in Sydney.
Cassidy died on 10 April 2021 in Newcastle, New South Wales at the age of 96.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Australian One of Two New Vatican Aides". New York Times. 31 May 1988. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- ↑ E' morto il Cardinale Cassidy, una vita tra diplomazia ed ecumenismo (in Italian)
Other websites[change | change source]
- "Cassidy Card. Edward Idris". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Cardinal Cassidy on Catholic hierarchy.org
- Interview with Cardinal Cassidy
- news item on his book Archived 2006-08-25 at the Wayback Machine