|Birth name||Charles Edwin Hatcher|
|Born||January 21, 1942|
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Died||April 2, 2003 (aged 61)|
Bramcote, Nottinghamshire, England
|Genres||Soul, disco, R&B, psychedelic soul, funk|
20th Century Records
Edwin Starr (January 21, 1942 – April 2, 2003) was an American singer-songwriter and musician. He had many hit songs. His most notable song was War. The song sold over one million copies. He was very popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
On April 2, 2003, at the age of 61, Starr suffered a heart attack and died while taking a bath at his home in Bramcote near Nottingham. He left a wife, Annette Mary Hatcher, a son André Hatcher, and two grandchildren Alonté Renfroe and Maryah Hatcher.
Albums[change | change source]
- Soul Master (1965)
- 25 Miles (1969) (#73 US) (#9 R&B)
- War and Peace (1970) (#52 US)(#9 R&B)
- Involved (1971) (# 178 US)(# 45 R&B)
- Hell Up in Harlem (1974)
- Free to Be Myself (1975) (#43 R&B) (#210 US)
- Clean (1979) (#80 US) (#22 R&B)
- Happy Radio (1979) (#115 US) (#44 R&B)
- Stronger Than You Think I Am (1979) (#203 US)
- For Sale (1983)
References[change | change source]
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 286. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- Leigh, Spencer (2003-04-03). "Obituary: Edwin Starr". The Independent. Retrieved 2008-08-14.[permanent dead link]
- Edwin Starr – For Sale @Discogs.com Retrieved 8-28-2011.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 524. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
Other websites[change | change source]