Early life[change | change source]
Marriage[change | change source]
Shōda married Crown Prince Akihito in 1959.
When she married, she became Crown Princess Michiko. She became Empress Michiko in 1989 when her husband became Emperor.
Empress Michiko is the mother of two sons and a daughter.
|Naruhito, Emperor of Japan||23 February 1960||9 June 1993||Masako Owada||Princess Toshi|
|Fumihito, Prince Akishino||30 November 1965||29 June 1990||Kiko Kawashima||Princess Mako of Akishino|
Princess Kako of Akishino
Prince Hisahito of Akishino
|Sayako, Princess Nori||18 April 1969||15 November 2005||Yoshiki Kuroda|
Health[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Michiko" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 627.
- Hoover, Willian D. (2011). Historical Dictionary of Postwar Japan, p. 16.
- "Japan's ex-Empress Michiko has early stage breast cancer". ABC News. August 9, 2019.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Empress Michiko at Wikimedia Commons
- Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress at Kunaicho.go.jp
- "Empress Michiko turns 77, and is feeling her age" at Asahi.com