|Established||since at least 1070|
|Named for||6th century nobleman named Focko|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
History and name[change | change source]
Fugging (which was Fucking at the time) has existed since at least 1070 and is named after a man from the 6th century called "Fuko". In old Germanic, "-ing" is used to describe people as belonging to their leader; so "Fucking" means "(place of) Fuko’s people."
Although the village has a population of 104 as of 2005[update], it has drawn attention in the English-speaking world for its name, which is spelled the same as the continuous form of the profane English-language verb "fuck".
Fucking's most famous feature is a traffic sign with its name on it, which tourists often photograph. This street sign is often stolen. Significant public funds have been spent on replacing the stolen signs.
In 2004, because many signs had been stolen, a vote was held to change the village name, but the villagers voted not to change. In August 2005, the road signs were welded to a very strong pole. This made it more difficult to steal them.
Fucking changed its name to Fugging, the name change came to affect on 1 January 2021.
References[change | change source]
- Tarsdorf Official map
- Official governmental Homepage of Tarsdorf Municipality
- "F***ing signs now theft-proof". Ananova. Archived from the original on 30 September 2005. Retrieved 15 December 2006.
The Austrian town of F***ing has erected theft-proof road signs embedded in concrete blocks. Officials acted because they were fed up with English-speaking tourists stealing them as souvenirs.
- Brits steal carloads of Fucking Austrian roadsigns
- Parker, Quentin (18 July 2010). Welcome to Horneytown, North Carolina, Population: 15: An insider's guide to 201 of the world's weirdest and wildest places. Adams Media. p. 83. ISBN 1-4405-0739-2.
- (Firm), Lonely Planet Publications (2009). 1000 Ultimate Experiences. Lonely Planet. p. 124. ISBN 978-1-74179-945-3.
- Urban Legends Reference Pages: Welcome to Austria
- What’s the F---ing joke?
Other websites[change | change source]
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Travel guide from Wikivoyage|