A gambling addiction is when someone is obsessed with gambling despite the negative consequences. Gambling addictions often puts the person in risk of losing everything. People with this illness often think about suicide more than the general population. Many people use gambling as a way to get away from their terrible lives and to gain satisfaction.
Someone with a gambling addiction often
- Needs to gamble with more and more money to satisfy themselves
- Has made repeated unsuccessful efforts to cut back
- Is always gambling
- Persists to win back their losses
- Has jeopardized or lost relationships
- Relies on others to provide money to provide financial support
This mental disorder can be treated through therapy, counseling, and some medicine. There is no definite cure. Gambling addiction is a serious disease difficult to overcome.