This article should be divided into sections by topic, to make it more accessible.
Gambling is a contest where a player bets on the result of an event. The bet is generally in the form of money. The outcome is dependent on the predictability of the event. The rules and the amount of money bet are decided on before the event happens.
There are three variables common to all gambling.
- The amount of the bet.
- The predictability of the outcome of the event.
- The odds agreed upon by the players.
There are many types of gambling. Casino games, parimutuel games, sports betting and state lotteries are some of the most common forms of gambling.
Generally, the odds are not in favor of the gambler.
Many people gamble for fun and entertainment. For others it becomes an addiction and a financial burden. Gambling addiction is a serious mental health issue that can become life threatening. People with a gambling problem should seek help. Research shows that older people are more vulnerable and how the brain can get addicted to gambling.
Investments such as stocks, bonds and real estate are sometimes considered forms of gambling. Gambling regulation differs in different countries. Some have established specific legal institutions. However, some countries have only overseeing laws. A well-known executive institution is The Gambling Commission in the UK. Its main function is controlling commercial gambling in partnership with people in charge of licensing. An example of strict ruling is the Gambling Law in the USA. The law decides gaming rules for local, state, and federal businesses. In some places, gambling is illegal. In some countries there is a gambling control board.
References[change | change source]
- "The Effects of Gambling". ProblemGambling.ca. 4 April 2016. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Inside the Brain of a Gambling Addict". GambleRock.com. 30 June 2019. Retrieved 9 September 2019.
- "Gambling Commission".
- "Casino New Zealand".
- "Canadian Regulations, Restrictions and Problem Gambling Assistance". SlotsOnline Canada. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "Illegal Betting in Australia Due for Clampdown by Authorities: 2001 Interactive Gambling Act". Australian Online Casino. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 23 July 2016.