|Type of business||Subsidiary|
Type of site
|Collaborative version control|
|Founded||February 8, 2008(as Logical Awesome LLC)|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Alexa rank||80 (January 2020[update])|
|Registration||Optional (required for creating and joining projects)|
|Users||40 million (Aug 2019)|
|Launched||April 10, 2008|
In January 2020, GitHub reported that they have more than 40 million users and more than 100 million repositories (including at least 28 million public repositories). Therefore, it is recognized as the largest host of source code in the world.
Organizational users[change | change source]
Currently, there are many individual GitHub users. On the other hand, there are also organizational users such as educational institutions and companies. The following companies are using GitHub to distribute open source projects:
- Google Research (research facility of Google)
- TeX Users Group (A community for LaTeX users)
- Wolfram Research (developer of Wolfram Mathematica)
Desktop version[change | change source]
GitHub Pages[change | change source]
Similar services[change | change source]
Today, there are several GitHub like services for developers. Some of them use Git but have different interface with unique web-design. One of the most famous GitHub rival is GitLab. This is also based on Git. Users can export their programs on GitHub to GitLab.
References[change | change source]
- "github.com Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic - Alexa". www.alexa.com. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- Dabbish, L., Stuart, C., Tsay, J., & Herbsleb, J. (2012, February). Social coding in GitHub: transparency and collaboration in an open software repository. In Proceedings of the ACM 2012 conference on computer supported cooperative work (pp. 1277-1286).
- Pipinellis, A. (2018). GitHub Essentials: Unleash the power of collaborative development workflows using GitHub. Packt Publishing Ltd.
- Mergel, I. (2015). Open collaboration in the public sector: The case of social coding on GitHub. Government Information Quarterly, 32(4), 464-472.
- Beer, B. (2018). Introducing GitHub: A non-technical guide. " O'Reilly Media, Inc.".
- Dawson, C., & Straub, B. (2016). Building Tools with GitHub: Customize Your Workflow. " O'Reilly Media, Inc.".
- Blischak, J. D., Davenport, E. R., & Wilson, G. (2016). A quick introduction to version control with Git and GitHub. PLoS computational biology, 12(1), e1004668.
- "User search". GitHub. Retrieved Jan 29, 2019.
Showing 40,206,691 available users
- "GitHub passes 100 million repositories". VentureBeat. 2018-11-08. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Repository search for public repositories". GitHub. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
Showing 28,177,992 available repository results
- Gousios, Georgios; Vasilescu, Bogdan; Serebrenik, Alexander; Zaidman, Andy. "Lean GHTorrent: GitHub Data on Demand" (PDF). The Netherlands: Delft University of Technology & †Eindhoven University of Technology: 1. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
During recent years, GITHUB (2008) has become the largest code host in the world.Cite journal requires
- Griffin, T., & Seals, S. (2013). Github in the classroom: Not just for group projects. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, 28(4), 74-74.
- Fiksel, J., Jager, L. R., Hardin, J. S., & Taub, M. A. (2019). Using GitHub Classroom To Teach Statistics. Journal of Statistics Education, 27(2), 110-119.
- Angulo, M. A., & Aktunc, O. (2019). Using GitHub as a teaching tool for programming courses. In ASEE Gulf-Southwest Section Annual Meeting 2018 Papers. American Society for Engineering Education.
- Van Strien, D. (2016). An Introduction to Version Control Using GitHub Desktop. The Programming Historian.
- Owen, D. (2017). Using GitHub pages for a computer science course website: conference tutorial. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, 32(3), 36-36.
- Van Baarsen, J. (2014). GitLab Cookbook. Packt Publishing Ltd.
- O'grady, A. (2018). GitLab Quick Start Guide: Migrate to GitLab for all your repository management solutions. Packt Publishing Ltd.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikidata has the property:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GitHub.|