This page is about the operating system. For the web browser, see Google Chrome
. For hardware running Chrome OS, see Chromebook
||This article has many issues. Please help fix them or discuss these issues on the talk page.
The Google Chrome OS is a project by Google to develop a light computer operating system. It is devoted to using the World Wide Web. The operating system was announced on July 7, 2009, and it is based on Google's Chrome web browser and the Linux kernel. It will be targeted at netbooks at first, and is due to be released during the second half of 2010. It will run on systems with either x86 or ARM processors.
Google has stated that the Google Chrome OS project will be open source by the end of 2009. Although it is based on the Linux kernel, it will use "a new windowing system".
The Google Chrome OS is expected to be delayed in reaching customers.
- ↑ "Kernel Design: Background, Upgrades". Google. http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/chromium-os-kernel. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- ↑ Google. "Google Chrome OS Terms of Service". http://www.google.com/intl/en/chromebook/termsofservice.html. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- ↑ Mediati, Nick (2009-07-07). "Google Announces Chrome OS". PC World. Archived from the original on 2010-01-18. http://www.pcworld.com/article/168028/google_announces_chrome_os.html. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- ↑ Bobbie Johnson (2009-07-08). "Google targets Microsoft with new operating system". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jul/08/google-chrome-operating-system. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- ↑ Ahmed, Murad (2009-07-08), Google takes on Microsoft with Chrome operating system, Times Online, http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6665703.ece, retrieved 2009-07-08 Archived 18 January 2010 at WebCite
- ↑ Womack, Brian (2009-07-08). "Google to Challenge Microsoft With Operating System". Bloomberg.com. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aTd2k.YdQZ.Y. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- ↑ Shiels, Maggie (2009-07-08). "Google to launch operating system". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8139711.stm. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- ↑ Arrington, Michael (2009-07-08). "Google Chrome: Redefining The Operating System". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 2012-04-03. http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/08/google-chrome-redefining-the-operating-system/. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- ↑ Ali, United States (December 11, 2010). Google is delaying to ship Chrome OS to mid of 2011