Himni i Flamurit
|English: Hymn to the Flag|
|National anthem of||Albania|
"Himni i Flamurit" (in English: 'Hymn to the Flag') is the national anthem of Albania. The words were written by the Albanian poet Asdreni (Aleksandër Stavre Drenova). The hymn was first published as a poem in Liri e Shqipërisë (in English: Freedom of Albania), an Albanian newspaper in Sofia, Bulgaria, on 21 April 1912. It was later printed in a volume of poems by Drenova titled Ëndra e lotë (in English: Dreams and tears), which was published in Bucharest. The music of the anthem was composed by the Romanian composer Ciprian Porumbescu. It's based on the song Pe-al nostru steag e scris Unire.
Lyrics[change | change source]
The first part (stanza or verse) is always sung, the second part is sung on occasion, and the third part is never sung.
Albanian lyrics[change | change source]
Arvanitic Greek alphabet
Rreth flamurit të përbashkuar
Рреѳ фљамурит тъ пърбашкуар
Ρ̇εθ φλαμȣριτ τε̱ πε̱ρπ̇ασ̈κȣaρ
[rɛθ̟ fla.mu.ɾit tə pəɾ.baʃ.ku.aɾ]
Adaptation into English[change | change source]
- Around our flag we stand united,
- With one wish and one intention.
- A sacred oath upon it we accord,
- Faith for our pardon we blazon.
- 𝄆 From battle only he abstaineth,
- For who is born a traitor.
- He who a true man frighten’d not,
- But to the cause dieth a warrior. 𝄇
- With weapons in our hands aflash’d,
- Our fatherland we shall defend.
- Our sacred rights we shall cede not,
- On our land the foe hath a place not.
- 𝄆 For God himself proclaim’d:
- Nations of earth shall abate,
- And yet Albania will live and succeed.
- For thee, for thee we fight. 𝄇
- O Banner, banner, thou symbol hallow’d
- Upon thee we now swear.
- For Albania, our dear fatherland,
- For thy glory and honour.
- 𝄆 Brave man nam’d and honour’d,
- The one who died for the fatherland.
- Forever shall he be remember’d
- On earth and under as a saint! 𝄇
In other alphabets[change | change source]
Albanian has historically been written in a number of different alphabets.
|Bashkimi alphabet||Istanbul alphabet|
Rréth flamurit te perbashkuar
Ρεθ flamurit te perbaσkuar
References[change | change source]
- Himni kombëtar
- https://web.archive.org/web/20091026231048/http://geocities.com/vaso_tole/Albanian/NationAnthem-AL.html [Warning: The whole article's in Albanian! Copy-and-paste and use Google Translate.]
- Un vechi cântec patriotic românesc, fost imn al României în perioada 1975-1977, a ajuns imnul Albaniei Adevărul. 2015-12-01. Tatu, Alina Andra
- Himni I Flamurit teksteshqip
- Hymni Shqiptar Albcan.ca. Shoqata Bashkesia Shqiptaro Kanadeze.