Ice sledge hockey
This article does not have any sources. (November 2011)
|Part of a series of articles on|
|Track and field athletics|
|Ice hockey· Skating|
Sledge hockey (known as sled hockey in the United States) is a sport that is designed to allow players who have a physical disability to play sport. Ice sledge hockey was invented in Sweden in the 1960s at a rehabilitation center.
Ice sledge hockey and ice hockey differences[change | change source]
- Team is composed of 5 players and one goalkeeper. This is same as in normal hockey.
- In each team could be maximum 5 healthy players. In one moment there could be maximum 2 of them.
- The benches and penalty bench are in the ice
- Ice rink is same too. Hockey rinks follow the International Ice Hockey Federation specifications, which are given in metric units (the Imperial units given are approximations): 60 m × 30 m (197 ft × 98.5 ft) with a corner radius of 8.5 m (28 ft). The distance from the end boards to the nearest goal line is 4 m (13 ft). The distance from each goal line to the nearest blue line is 17⅔ m (58 ft). The distance between the two blue lines is also 17⅔ m (58 ft). There are two widths of lines painted on a hockey rink: thick lines – 12 in (30 cm) wide – and thin lines – 2 in (5 cm) wide.
- Difference is in player´s equipment. Players have full-face cover.
- Normal hockey is played for 3 times 20 minutes. In sledge hockey it is from 12 to 20 minutes.
- In normal hockey there are 3 referees. There are 2 in sledge hockey.
Ice sledge hockey equipment[change | change source]
- Sled - Each player has his own sled. This sled is designed on his body.
- Stick - The sticks for ice sledge hockey players have a blade curved as in normal ice hockey.
On the other side it has six to eight metal teeth for maneuvering and propulsion. Movement is done by using the metal teeth. The metal teeth cannot be longer than 1 centimeter beyond the stick, to help stop damage to the ice or injure of other players.
Ice sledge hockey in Kolín[change | change source]
People who live in Kolín see ice sledge hockey as a normal sport. Kolín's team are on the top of table[source?]. Kolín's ice hockey players won last season[source?]. Many of Kolín's players play in Czech republic's representation[source?].
Other websites[change | change source]
Leagues and Associations[change | change source]
- British Sledge Hockey Association Archived 2014-05-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Czech Sledge Hockey League Archived 2018-11-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Japan Ice Sledge Hockey Association Archived 2011-10-15 at the Wayback Machine
- Northeast Sled Hockey League (USA)
- Ontario Sledge Hockey Association (Canada)
- Sledge Hockey of Eastern Ontario (Canada)
- Hockey Alberta - Sledge Hockey (Canada) Archived 2011-08-27 at the Wayback Machine
Equipment Manufacturers[change | change source]
- Canwinsportsm[permanent dead link]
- HandiNor AS[permanent dead link]
- Mobility Sports, LLC
- Spokes n' Motion Archived 2011-11-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Unique Inventions