International Shooting Sport Federation
The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) is the governing body of the Olympic Shooting events in rifle, pistol and shotgun (clay target) disciplines, and of several non-Olympic Shooting sport events. ISSF's activities include regulation of the sport, Olympic qualifications and organization of international competitions such as the ISSF World Cup Series, the ISSF World Cup Finals, the ISSF Separate World Championship in Shotgun events and the ISSF World Championship in all events.
Founded in 1907 as the International Shooting Union (French: Union International de Tir), and then changing its name in 1998, the ISSF affiliates nowadays over 150 National Shooting Federations from Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania. The ISSF Presidency is held by Mr. Vladimir Lisin, a Russian steel tycoon and President of the European Shooting Federation, since the 30th of November 2018. The ISSF headquarters is in Munich, Germany.
Competitions and records[change | change source]
The ISSF recognizes the following competitions as ISSF Championships:
- The Olympic Games every four years (Olympic events only)
- The ISSF World Shooting Championships every four years, plus every other year for shotgun events
- The ISSF World Cup four times a year plus a final (Olympic events only)
- The ISSF Junior World Cup four times a year plus a final (Olympic events only)
- Regional championships, such as the European Championships or the Pan-American Games, with regularity that is decided on the regional level
These are the only competitions that have direct supervision from ISSF committees, and the only competitions where world records can be set. This leads to many national records in fact being higher than the world records.
Events[change | change source]
|1||ISSF World Shooting Championships||1897||2018 (52nd)|
|2||ISSF World Cup||1986||2020 (35th)|
|3||ISSF Junior World Cup||2016||2019 (4th)|
|4||World University Shooting Championships||2003||2018 (7th)|
|5||World Military Shooting Championships||1957||2017 (50th)|
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Continental Championships - Europe". issf-sports.org. 9 June 2020.
- Barth, Katrin; Dreilich, Beate (1 October 2010). Training Shooting Sports. Meyer & Meyer Verlag. p. 18. ISBN 978-1-84126-305-2.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-08-30. Retrieved 2009-02-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Golob, Julie (13 December 2013). "Olympic Shooting Sports". Shoot: Your Guide to Shooting and Competition. Skyhorse Publishing Company, Incorporated. p. 87. ISBN 978-1-62636-607-7.
- "Calendar 2019". issf-sports.org. Retrieved 14 June 2020.