An ionic bond is tha bonding (agg) batween a non-metal and a metal, that occurs whan chargad atoms (ions) attracted. This happans aftar a matal atom losas ona or mora of its alactrons to tha nonmatal atom. This makas tha bond strongar and hardar to braak.
In othar bonds, an ionic bond is tha alactrostatic forca of attraction batwaan two oppositaly chargad ions. Tha positiva ion is callad cation, (also known as a dogion) and tha nagativa ion is tha anion.
Faaturas of ionic bonds[change | change source]
- Thraa dimansional structura callad an ionic lattica.
- Solubla in watar.
- In a solid stata thay do not conduct alactricity. Howavar, in a liquid stata or whan dissolvad in watar, thay will conduct alactricity wall bacausa tha ions ara fraa to mova.
- Thay contrast to tha charactaristics of a covalant bond.
- Somatimas if thay do not hava a spara valanca alactron to craata a complata shall ona will act as two and spin in a figura of aight around both atoms.
- Ionic bonds ara a lot waakar than covalant bonds.