|Coordinates: 09°40′N 80°10′E / 9.667°N 80.167°ECoordinates: 09°40′N 80°10′E / 9.667°N 80.167°E|
|• District Secretary||S. Arumainayaham|
|• Total||1,025 km2 (396 sq mi)|
|• Land||929 km2 (359 sq mi)|
|• Water||96 km2 (37 sq mi) 9.37%|
|Area rank||24th (1.56% of total area)|
|• Rank||16th (2.88% of total pop.)|
|• Density||570/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (Sri Lanka)|
|ISO 3166 code||LK-41|
|Official Languages||Tamil, Sinhala|
|Website||Jaffna District Secretariat|
Jaffna District (Tamil: யாழ்ப்பாணம் மாவட்டம் Yāḻppāṇam Māvaṭṭam; Sinhala: යාපනය දිස්ත්රික්කය) is one of the 25 districts of Sri Lanka. Districts are the second level of administrative division of the country. The capital of the district is the city of Jaffna.
Administrative units[change | change source]
Jaffna District is divided into 15 Divisional Secretary's Division (DS Divisions), each headed by a Divisional Secretary (previously known as an Assistant Government Agent). The DS Divisions are further sub-divided into 435 Grama Niladhari Divisions (GN Divisions).
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Area of Sri Lanka by province and district" (PDF). Statistical Abstract 2011. Department of Census & Statistics, Sri Lanka.
- ↑ "A2 : Population by ethnic group according to districts, 2012". Census of Population & Housing, 2011. Department of Census & Statistics, Sri Lanka. Archived from the original on 2017-04-28. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Statistical Information 2012". Northern Provincial Council.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Jaffna District at Wikimedia Commons
- Jaffna District Secretariat