Kansas City Chiefs
The Kansas City Chiefs are a professional American football team in Kansas City, Missouri. The team is a part of the Western Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) in the National Football League (NFL). Their starting quarterback is Patrick Mahomes.
Originally called the Dallas Texans, the club was founded by Lamar Hunt in 1960 as a charter member of the American Football League. The team moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs in 1963 after then-Kansas City mayor H. Roe Bartle promised the team they would have more ticket sales. The Chiefs then joined the NFL as part of the AFL-NFL Merger. The Chiefs hold the distinction of being the second AFL team (after the New York Jets) to beat an NFL club in an AFL-NFL World Championship Game when they beat the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV.
The term "chief" is sometimes considered to be insulting to Native Americans. There has been no serious effort to change the team's nickname.[source?] They have used an arrowhead as their symbol for a long time. They also named their home field Arrowhead Stadium.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Kansas City Chiefs official site
- Year by Year Statistics Archived 2008-05-30 at the Wayback Machine (pdf)
- Sports E-Cyclopedia.com
References[change | change source]
- "Chiefs History 1958-1959". Chiefs.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Archived from the original on August 8, 2018. Retrieved August 8, 2018.
- "Chiefs Uniform History". Chiefs.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Archived from the original on March 28, 2019. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "Kansas City Chiefs Team Capsule". 2020 Official National Football League Record and Fact Book. NFL Enterprises, LLC. August 17, 2020. Archived from the original on August 19, 2020. Retrieved September 7, 2020.
- "Front Office Staff". Chiefs.com. NFL Enterprises, LLC. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- Gregory, Sean (February 3, 2020). "Patrick Mahomes Led the Kansas City Chiefs to a Super Bowl Comeback. He Also Affirmed His Greatness". Time. Retrieved March 17, 2020.
- Wagoner, Nick (January 29, 2020). "Chiefs, 49ers fill the need for speed in Super Bowl LIV". ESPN Internet Ventures, LLC. Retrieved February 4, 2020.