Kazakhstan at the 2018 Winter Paralympics
Team[change | change source]
Six people and one guide skier from Kazakhstan went to Pyeongchang, South Korea for the 2018 Winter Paralympics. All are competing in para-Nordic skiing. There are six men and one woman. Three are going to their first Paralympic Games. They are coached by Vasily Kolomyjets (Kazakh: Василий Коломиец).
The table below is the list of members (called "Team Kazakhstan") that played in the 2018 Games.
|Zhanyl Baltabateva (Kazakh: Балтабаева Жаныл)||para-Nordic skiing||female||LW12|||
|Alexandr Gerlits (Kazakh: Герлиц Александр)||para-Nordic skiing||male||LW6|||
|Kairat Kanafin (Kazakh: Канафин Қайрат)||para-Nordic skiing||male||B2|||
|Alexandr Kolyadin (Kazakh: Колядин Александр)||para-Nordic skiing||male||LW4|||
|Denis Petrenko (Kazakh: Петренко Денис)||para-Nordic skiing||male||LW11|||
|Sergey Ussoltsev (Kazakh: Усольцев Сергей)||para-Nordic skiing||male||LW12|||
|Anton Zhdanovich (Kazakh: Жданович Антон)||para-Nordic skiing||male||guide skier|||
Russian doping scandal[change | change source]
Letters to the IPC[change | change source]
15 National Paralympic Committees and the International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports Federation signed a letter to support the National Paralympic Committee of Russia in August 2017. The countries included Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Vietnam, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Laos, Moldova, Mongolia, Serbia, Tajikistan, Montenegro, and South Korea. They asked the IPC to let Russia compete at the 2018 Winter Paralympics. The letter was signed weeks before the IPC Governing Board met in Abu Dhabi.
IPC response[change | change source]
In September 2017, this decision was reviewed and upheld. The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) still had concerns about doping in Russian sport. All the conditions the IPC required of the Russians were not met.
Hockey[change | change source]
Kazakhstan did not join sledge hockey in 2018. The country is preparing for the future. They want to compete in sledge hockey in the future. Kazakhstan created a program in early 2018. Toyota became a sponsor in October 2017.
Para-Nordic skiing[change | change source]
Two years before the start of the Games, Kazakhstan wanted to win medals in South Korea. They started on two years of planning and training to do this. The team spent nearly a year training in Germany before the hosted Games. They used snow tunnels during the summer months. This allowed them to train in winter conditions all year. During the summer, they also trained using bicycles. Because of sponsorship, many team members got new prostheses while in Germany. Kolyadin said of his new prosthetic, "They created a new prosthesis. When I got it, I tried it. Now I am accustomed to using it. I think I will win by using it in the race. It takes time to learn new technology. But there is 100% control - I like it."  The team went to Russia for World Cup events. They did more training in Russia. They also went to a competition in Finland. The team returned to Almaty three weeks before the Games started. This was so they could do additional training.
References[change | change source]
- "Пхенчхан қаласында (Оңтүстік Корея Республикасы) 5-19 наурызда XII Паралимпиялық ойындар өтеді – «Дене мүмкіндіктері шектеулі тұлғаларға арналған спорттық даярлау орталығы» РМҚК". csp-parasport.kz (in Kazakh (Kazakhstan)). 16 February 2018. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Шетелдіктер Қазақстан паралимпиадашыларымен бәсекелесуден қорқады – маман". baq.kz (in Kazakh). Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "BALTABAYEVA Zhanyl". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "GERLITS Alexandr". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Kairat Kanafin". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "KOLYADIN Alexandr". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Denis Petrenko". International Paralympic Committee.
- "USSOLTSEV Sergey". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Paralympic committees boost Russia's bid to be reinstated in time for PyeongChang 2018". Play the Game. 22 August 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Зборную Расіі адхілілі ад удзелу ў Паралімпійскіх гульнях — 2018". Наша Ніва (in Belarusian). Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- "Қазақстанда следж-хоккей немесе шанадағы хоккейді дамытатын болады – «Дене мүмкіндіктері шектеулі тұлғаларға арналған спорттық даярлау орталығы» РМҚК". csp-parasport.kz (in Kazakh (Kazakhstan)). January 2018. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "ҰПК мен Toyota елімізде паралимпиадалық бағытты дамытады" (in Russian). Retrieved 20 February 2018.[permanent dead link]
- "Ұлттық паралимпиада спортшылары жаңа жабдық алды" (in Russian). Retrieved 20 February 2018.[permanent dead link]