Kharkov National Medical University
Харківський національний медицинський університет
|Latin: Universitas medicinalis nationalis Charkoviensis|
|Motto||Valetudo est bonum optimum|
Kharkov National Medical University (KNMU, Russian: Ха́рьковский национа́льный медици́нский университе́т, Ukrainian: Ха́рківський націона́льний медици́нський університе́т) is a medical university in Kharkov, Ukraine. It was first known as Kharov State Medical University and then Kharkov Medical State Institute.
At present, over 700 professors teach at the university. Since 1951, the university has been training medical staff for countries of Eastern Europe, China and Mongolia. Since 1961, it has been training students from other countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America. At present, there are about 3,400 foreign students in the Kharkiv National Medical University who study at the Preparatory Department, Medical, Nursing and Dental Faculties. They do postgraduate and clinical post-graduate (residency) courses as well as professional probation at departments of the university in Dental, therapy, orthopedics, surgery, oncology, psychiatry, ophthalmology, obstetrics and gynecology, as well as other medical specialties. The University has trained over 5,000 specialists for 86 countries in Europe, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
History[change | change source]
The history of the higher medical school in Kharkiv is more than 200 years long. It is closely connected with the history of University of Kharkiv, because it originated from its Medical Faculty. The University was founded in 1805. A decree about its foundation was signed by the Russian Tsar Alexander I, and the first rules of the university were approved at that time.
Rankings and reputation[change | change source]
The university ranks 481 out of 11,000 universities in the world by 4icu world university ranking. The university takes the 26th general place and the 5th place among higher medical educational establishments of Ukraine in the scientometrical database SCOPUS. It ranks 47th among Ukrainian higher educational establishments by UNESCO Top 200. In 2015, the Order of Honour and Silver Diploma by the rating "Golden Fortune" were awarded to the University. KhNMU became a laureate of the rating of higher educational establishments "Ukraine-2000".
In 2001, Silver Diploma by the VII International Rating "Golden Fortune" in the nomination "The Third Millennium Quality" was awarded to the staff of the University.
In 2010, the University won an honorary title "Leader of Modern Education" at the International Exhibition "Modern Education of Ukraine"; in 2011-2012 – "Leader of National Education" at the International Exhibitions "Education and Career - 2011" and "Education and Career - 2012".
Campuses and buildings[change | change source]
The university has a complex of buildings for teaching. It has 5 hostels. All the students of the graduate and post-graduate stages of training are provided with beds at the hostels.
The university has 65 departments. The departments are equipped with modern classrooms and have all the opportunities for high-quality training of students.
Institutes and faculties[change | change source]
- 7 faculties;
- Educational Research Institute for Postgraduate Training;
- Medical college;
- 2 research institutes: Research Institute of Occupational Hygiene and Occupational Diseases, Ukrainian Institute of Clinical Genetics;
- Central research laboratory;
- 4 research laboratories;
- Medical training and research unit of “University Dental Centre”;
- Scientific-Practical Medical Centre.
Research[change | change source]
About 40 studies in priority subjects are conducted at the university. These are working out of methods for prevention, diagnosing and treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular, reproductive and musculo-skeletal systems.
International cooperation[change | change source]
The university is a member of the International Association of Universities (an organisation overseen by UNESCO) since 1998. It is on the register of medical universities of the World Health Organization (Avicenna Directories).
Notable people[change | change source]
- Victor Skumin studied medicine at the University and graduated in 1973 with diploma with honours. In 1968, while still a medical student, he proposed (1968) the term Culture of Health (Russian: Культура Здоровья). He wrote many books and articles about psychiatry, yoga. He was the first to described a previously unknown disease, now it is called Skumin syndrome. He elaborated on the concept of spiritual evolution and proposed (1990) a classification of Homo spiritalis (Latin: "spiritual man"), the sixth root race, consisting of eight sub-races (subspecies) - HS0 Anabiosis spiritalis, HS1 Scientella spiritalis, HS2 Aurora spiritalis, HS3 Ascensus spiritalis, HS4 Vocatus spiritalis, HS5 Illuminatio spiritalis, НS6 Creatio spiritalis, and HS7 Servitus spiritalis.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Official Site of Kharkiv National Medical University | Study Medicine in Ukraine". www.ksmu.kharkov.ua. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- ↑ 4icu
- ↑ "Culture of Health". Unsystem.edu. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- ↑ Kovaleva E. A. (2009). "Педагогический совет. Культура здоровья учащихся как фактор здоровьесберегающей среды школы. Слайд 6" [Pedagogical Council. Slide 6 of the presentation "culture of health" to the lessons of physical education on the theme the "Health"]. 900igr.net. Archived from the original on 24 September 2017. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- ↑ "Syndrome de Skumin". wikimonde.com. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- ↑ Andrew, Robishaw (2015). The Esoteric Codex: Esoteric Cosmology. LULU Press. p. 148. ISBN 978-1-329-05308-3. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "Aerial video of Kharkiv National Medical University"". YouTube. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- Official website of the University