View looking northeast along the River Shannon
|Motto: Urbs Antiqua Fuit
Studiisque Asperrima Belli (Latin)
"There was an ancient city
very fierce in the skills of war"
|• Type||City Council|
|• Mayor||Jim Long|
|• Dáil Éireann||Limerick City, Limerick|
|• European Parliament||South|
|• Total||51.3 km2 (19.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|• Urban area||91,454|
|Time zone||WET (UTC0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (UTC+1)|
|Area code(s)||(+353) 61|
Limerick (Irish: Luimneach from Lom na nEach, meaning the Bare place of the Horses) is a city and the county seat of County Limerick in the historical province of Munster, in the midwest of Ireland. The city lies on the River Shannon, with three main crossing points near the city centre and has a 2006 population of 91,000 inhabitants within its urban area.
References[change | change source]
- "Limerick City Motto". Limerick.com. http://www.limerick.com/limerickcitymotto.html. Retrieved 2010-08-12.
- "The Mayor of Limerick City, Limerick City Council". Limerick.ie. http://www.limerick.ie/YourCouncil/TheMayorofLimerickCity/. Retrieved 2010-08-12.
- "cso.ie". http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011pdr/Commentary%20Population%20Age%20etc.pdf.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Limerick at Wikimedia Commons
- Limerick City Council
- Architecture of Limerick
- Various online history resources from Limerick City Library