Administration[change | change source]
A district of an Indian state is an administrative geographical unit. They are headed by the Deputy Commissioner (DC). DC combines the offices of the District Magistrate responsible for maintaining law and order and District Collector responsible for collection of the revenue. The DC is assisted by officials belonging to different wings of state administrative services.
The districts of Assam are grouped together in five regional divisions. They are headed by a Commissioner. A superintendent of Police, an officer belonging to Indian Police Service is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues. The police in Guwahati City is headed by the Commissioner of Police. It started functioning from 1 January 2015.
Districts[change | change source]
The areas and populations of the 33 districts are given below:
|Code||District||Headquarter||Population (2011)||Area (km²)||Density (/km²)|
|BS||Biswanath ||Biswanath Chariali ||5,80,000||1,100||530|
|KM||Kamrup Metropolitan||Guwahati||1,260,419||1,528||820 hi|
|WK||West Karbi Anglong||Hamren|
# - Districts under Bodoland Territorial Council
References[change | change source]
- The Office of Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India.
- ISO 3166
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in.
- "CM Tarun Gogoi announces 5 new districts in Assam on Independence Day". Daily News and Analysis. Guwahati. PTI. 15 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Biswanath district inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Archived from the original on 23 October 2020. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "Charaideo inaugurated as a new dist". Assam Tribune. Archived from the original on 25 November 2020. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Hojai inaugurated as new district". Voice of Greater Assam. Archived from the original on 22 February 2016. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Majuli to function as new district from today". Assam Tribune. Archived from the original on 23 October 2020. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "South Salmara-Mankachar dist inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Archived from the original on 23 October 2020. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "West Karbi Anglong district East and south kamrup Majuli also added inaugurated". Assam Tribune. Archived from the original on 3 April 2016. Retrieved 11 February 2016.