List of police forces in the United Kingdom
This is a list of the Police forces in the United Kingdom.
Countries[change | change source]
Police Officer numbers in England and Wales are at their highest ever levels.
England[change | change source]
* Note: Staffordshire, West Mercia and West Midlands participate in a partnership called the Central Motorway Police Group
In September 2006 police numbers in England were:
- Police officers: 133,775
- Police Community Support Officers: 8,133
- Other staff: 70,818
Wales[change | change source]
In September 2006 police numbers in Wales were:
- Police officers: 7,579
- Police Community Support Officers: 384
- Other staff: 3,767
Scotland[change | change source]
Most areas of Policing in Scotland are done by the Scottish Government and Scottish Parliament, but some rights remain with the Scottish Office in the UK Government. These areas include national security, terrorism, firearms and drugs.
As of 1 April 2013, Policing in Scotland is the responsibility of the Police Service of Scotland.
In June 2004, police numbers in Scotland were 15,714. By the end of June 2012, police numbers had risen to 17,373. This shows a 10.56% increase in police numbers over this 8 year period.
Northern Ireland[change | change source]
The Royal Ulster Constabulary was formed in 1922 to police the new Northern Ireland. It was renamed in 2001 following the Good Friday Agreement of 1998 undertaken by the Patten Commission.
In Northern Ireland, police powers have not been transferred to the Northern Ireland Executive as they have been in Scotland, instead they remain with the Northern Ireland Office in the UK Government.
In April 2007 police numbers in Northern Ireland were:
- Police officers: 7,244
- Part time police officers: 888
- Other staff: 2,701
The Police Service of Northern Ireland does not employ Police Community Support Officers.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Police numbers reach record high". Archived from the original on 2008-09-06. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Police service strength in England and Wales at September 2006" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- ↑ Police Officer Quarterly Strength Statistics Scotland
- ↑ "Police service strength" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
Further reading[change | change source]
- Helen Gough, Police and Constabulary Almanac (Police & Constabulary Almanac), Shaw & Sons (21 Feb 2007), 500 pages, ISBN 978-0721916620  Archived 2007-09-29 at the Wayback Machine
Other websites[change | change source]
- Association of Chief Police Officers of England, Wales & N.Ireland Archived 2005-07-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland
- Police Federation of England & Wales
- Scottish Police Federation
- Scottish Police Forces Website Archived 2007-08-04 at the Wayback Machine
- The UK Police Service - Forces Archived 2008-08-31 at the Wayback Machine