He is the only eight-division world champion in the history of boxing. He won eleven major world titles, as well as being the first boxer to win the lineal championship in five different weight classes. Pacquiao is also the first boxer in history to win major world titles in four of the original eight weight classes of boxing: flyweight, featherweight, lightweight, and welterweight.
Pacquiao has generated about 19.6 million in pay-per-view buys and $1.2 billion in revenue from his 24 pay-per-view bouts. According to Forbes, he was the second highest paid athlete in the world as of 2015.
In May 2010, Pacquiao was elected to the House of Representatives representing the province of Sarangani. He was re-elected in 2013. In June 2016, Pacquiao was elected as a senator and will serve a six-year term until 2022.
References[change | change source]
- "Eighth world title gives Pacquiao unique status". Reuters. November 14, 2010.
- "The Lineal Boxing World Champions". The Cyber Boxing Zone Encyclopedia.
- "Pacquiao Rebounds, Decisions Bradley". Queensberry Rules. Retrieved May 2, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jake Donovan. "Manny Pacquiao's Return Is For The Love Of The Game". Boxing Scene.
- "Ranking Manny Pacquiao's eight division titles". ESPN. Retrieved May 3, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- MJ Law (February 13, 2013). "Hey dude, who's the Champ?". The Lineal Champs. Archived from the original on June 10, 2016. Retrieved May 3, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jake Emen. "Weight Divisions History & Guide". ProBoxing-Fans. Retrieved July 6, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Kurt Badenhausen (April 9, 2015). "Manny Pacquiao Set To Retire After Bradley Fight With $500 Million In Career Earnings". Forbes.
- The World's Highest-Paid Athletes. Forbes.com (2013–06). Retrieved on February 22, 2014.
- Nancy Gay (May 10, 2010). "Manny Pacquiao Declares 'Landslide' Congressional Win in Philippines". Boxing Fanhouse. Archived from the original on May 25, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Manny Pacquiao wins senate seat". ESPN. May 20, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- News, Jay Dayupay, ABS-CBN. "Duterte 'wants to make' Pacquiao president". ABS-CBN News.