|Mario Kart 8|
|Developer(s)||Nintendo EAD Group No. 1|
The game is like the other Mario Kart games, where characters from the Mario series race each other in go-karts. Players are able to use items from item boxes to keep their opponents from winning. Along with go-karts, the game also has motorcycles. There are 12 players in a race. Like in Mario Kart 7, karts have hang-gliding attachments, and players are able to drive underwater. For the first time in the series, players are able to drive on walls and ceilings. There is one new types of vehicles: and four-wheel buggies. There is local and online multiplayer for up to 12 players. Players include Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, etc. The first DLC track pack was revealed in October 2014.
A port remake titled Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was released on the Nintendo Switch in 2017, having pre-installed and changed some in-game mechanics such as the battle mode. All characters are unlocked from the start except Gold Mario. The port received widespread critical acclaim due to big improvements over the original game.
Mario Kart 8 sold 8.45 million copies and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 33.41 million copies.
References[change | change source]
- "Wii U Developer Direct - Mario Kart 8 @E3 2013 - YouTube". Archived from the original on 2019-02-15. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Mario Kart 8: Release Data". GameFAQs. Archived from the original on 2014-06-08. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Osborn, Alex (January 29, 2014). "Mario Kart 8 Releasing in May, Greater Focus on GamePad, NFC Game Announcements Coming at E3". Game Revolution. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Mario Kart 8 launching on Wii U in spring 2014 (video)". Archived from the original on 2016-04-26. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "No date for Mario Kart 8, but a new trailer". eurogamer. 18 December 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-12-21.
- Phillips, Tom (October 22, 2014). "Mario Kart 8 DLC trailer reveals a familiar retro track". Eurogamer. Archived from the original on October 26, 2014. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- Life, Nintendo (2021-02-01). "Mario Kart 8 Overtakes Mario Kart Wii As Best-Selling Series Entry". Nintendo Life. Archived from the original on 2021-06-13. Retrieved 2021-07-15.