The church of Saint-Julien at Meyrin
Nathalie Leuenberger SPS/PSS
(as of 2016)
|• Total||9.94 km2 (3.84 sq mi)|
|Elevation||446 m (1,463 ft)|
|• Density||2,500/km2 (6,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Ferney-Voltaire (FR-01), Grand-Saconnex, Prévessin-Moëns (FR-01), Satigny, Vernier|
Meyrin was originally a small agricultural village until the 1950s, when construction of CERN began just to the north. It is now a commuter town dominated with apartment high-rises, and many of its residents work at CERN or in central Geneva.
The municipality is on the right bank of the Rhone river.
References[change | change source]
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- "Plan de commune Archived 2011-07-06 at the Wayback Machine." Meyrin. Retrieved on 29 September 2009.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Meyrin.|
- Official website (in French)
- Mategnin in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Maisonnex in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Cointrin in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.