Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov (10 November 1919 – 23 December 2013) was a Russian designer who is known for designing the AK-47, AKM, and AK-74 assault rifles when he served in the Soviet Army during World War II. He had the rank of lieutenant general.
Kalashnikov was born on 10 November 1919 in Kuriya, Altai Krai, Russian SFSR. He served in World War II and created many weapons and bombs including the AK-47 and a submachine gun. He was married to Ekaterina Kalashnikova. They had three children. He lived in Izhevsk, Udmurtia.
References[change | change source]
- "Mikhail Kalashnikov, creator of AK-47 assault rifle, dies at 94". Chicago Tribune.com. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-fg-wn-mikhail-kalashnikov-dies-at-94-20131223,0,7197152.story. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of AK-47, dies at 94". CNN.com. http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/23/world/europe/mikhail-kalashnikov-dies/index.html. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "The Biography of the Main Gun Designer Mikhail Timofeevich Kalashnikov". Kalashnikov.guns.ru. http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/mk.html/. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Скончался легендарный конструктор стрелкового оружия Михаил Калашников" (in Russian). RIA Novosti. http://ria.ru/society/20131223/985995865.html. Retrieved 23 December 2013. (Russian)
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Mikhail Kalashnikov|
- M.T. Kalashnikov Museum and Exhibition Small Arms Complex
- 'I sleep soundly' - Interview with and article on Mikhail Kalashnikov at the age of 83, from The Guardian newspaper.
- Mikhail Kalashnikov backs weapons control
- BBC NEWS Profile: Mikhail Kalashnikov
- Free illustrated virtual guided tour of the Museum of Mikhail Kalashnikov