My Hero Academia
The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (April 2018)
This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; (February 2018)
|My Hero Academia|
(Boku no Hīrō Akademia)
|Genre||Adventure, fantasy, superhero|
|Written by||Kōhei Horikoshi|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||July 7, 2014 – present|
|My Hero Academia Smash!!|
|Written by||Kohei Horikoshi|
|Illustrated by||Hirofumi Neda|
|Magazine||Shōnen Jump +|
|Original run||November 9, 2015 – November 6, 2017|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kenji Nagasaki|
|Written by||Yōsuke Kuroda|
|Music by||Yuki Hayashi|
|Original network||JNN (MBS) (Season 1)|
NNS (ytv) (Season 2 –)
|Original run||April 3, 2016 – present|
|My Hero Academia: Battle for All|
|Publisher||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|My Hero Academia: Vigilantes|
|Written by||Hiyuki Furuhashi|
|Illustrated by||Betten Court|
|Magazine||Shōnen Jump GIGA |
Shōnen Jump +
|Original run||August 20, 2016 – May 28, 2022|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Kenji Nagasaki|
|Written by||Yōsuke Kuroda|
|Music by||Yuki Hayashi|
|Released||April 4, 2017 – June 2, 2017|
|Runtime||25 minutes each|
|My Hero One's Justice|
|Publisher||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|Platform||PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows|
|Original video animation|
|All Might: Rising|
|Released||February 13, 2019|
My Hero Academia (Japanese: 僕のヒーローアカデミア, Hepburn: Boku no Hīrō Akademia) is a comedy adventure manga series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. It has been serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump since July 2014, and 37 volumes have been collected in tankōbon form.
The story follows Izuku Midoriya, a boy born without superpowers in a world where most people have them, but he still dreams of becoming a superhero himself. He meets the world's greatest hero, who shares his powers with Izuku after seeing his bravery and value and enrolls him in a high school for heroes in training. The manga was adapted into an anime series; the first season was from April 3 to June 26, 2016. The second season was from April 1 to September 30, 2017. The third season was from April 7 to September 29, 2018. The fourth season is set to start on October 12, 2019. A movie also came out in 2018 with another one in 2019.
Plot[change | change source]
In a world where people with superpowers known as "Quirks" are the standard, Izuku Midoriya is a regular middle school student who has dreams of one day becoming a Hero but is bullied by his classmates for not having a Quirk. After being the only one to try and save his childhood bully Katsuki Bakugo from a Villain, the world's greatest Hero All Might gives him his own quirk called "One For All". The story follows Izuku's entrance into U.A. High School, a school that trains the next generation of Super Heroes.
Main characters[change | change source]
- Izuku Midoriya / Deku
- Nicknamed "Deku", he is a shy but kind boy who dreams to become a Hero like All Might, originally not having a Quirk. However, when he tries to save his childhood bully Katsuki from a Villain, All Might shares with him his Quirk "One for All." Izuku must hide his connection to All Might to protect the secret of One For All. At first, Izuku was only able to use the full power of his strength for certain moments, breaking whichever part of his body he used. However he learned to use 8% of it, also having a mental connection with the old users of One for All. He has a great sense of strategy (having written at least thirteen notebooks on other heroes, including his peers) and a desire to save people. He hated his nickname, but starts to like it once Ochako comments that she likes his nickname, as it sounds to her like the word for "one who never gives up". Because of this, he also decides to use it as his Hero name.
- Katsuki Bakugo / Kacchan
- Katsuki is one of Izuku's childhood friends and classmates in Class 1-A, whom Izuku calls "Kacchan." He has the Quirk "Explosion", which allows his palm sweat to become nitroglycerin and explode. He has made fun of Izuku for not having a Quirk since childhood, even though they were close friends, and also the one who gave him his nickname as an insult. After growing up spoiled by people around him for his Quirk that he became more egotistical and thought that others, mainly Izuku, are below him. He started to bully Izuku when he tried to help Katsuki, making him think he was looking down on him. In the beginning of the series, he thinks that he is the strongest hero, and dreams of becoming richer and more famous than All Might. He stops picking on Izuku after his attempt to save him from a villain, and he truly starts to slowly change after Izuku beats him in their battle training. He is the best. Everyone's favourite.
- Ochako Uraraka / Uravity
- Ochako, spelled "Ochaco" in the anime, is Izuku's best friend. Her Quirk is "Zero Gravity," which allows her to make any object she touches with her fingers float, but she will become nauseous if she uses the ability too much. Other than Katsuki, she also refers Izuku as "Deku" but she calls him with his nickname out of friendship, a move that made him to accept the name. She comes from a family of construction workers, but are poor. Ochako dreams to become a hero for money so she can give her parents an easy life. Ochako originally meets Izuku before U.A.'s entrance exam, after she stops him from falling over when he tripped on his own foot. This caused Izuku to develop a large crush on her (as he had "talked" to a girl), to the point of blushing and stammering every time he is with her. Izuku eventually returns the favor by saving her during the entrance exam, and several other characters later realize that Ochako also likes Izuku, even showing signs after a classmate suspected it with her trying to deny it.
- Tenya Iida / Ingenium
- The class president of Class 1-A, a very intelligent and serious boy who seems scary at first, although he is just being honest and strict when it comes to being a hero. During the entrance exam, he repeatedly scolds Izuku for what he sees as disrespect. However, after he sees Izuku save Ochako during the exam, he comes to the (false) belief that Izuku knew the true nature of the exam. Concluding Izuku is better than him, Tenya apologizes and becomes friends him, despite Izuku's attempts to tell him the truth. Tenya becomes the class president after Izuku, who won by vote but was too nervous to hold the position, gave it to him. Tenya's Quirk is "Engine," which gives him super-speed because of jet engines in his legs. He comes from a well-known family, who have been professional heroes for ages. His older brother in particular, Ingenium, inspired him to become a hero that will make his family proud. Originally using his own name as his Hero name, Tenya is given his brother's own name after he is injured by Stain and forced to retire.
- Shoto Todoroki
- A student in Class 1-A. His Quirk is "Fire and Ice," which makes the left side of his body control fire and the right side ice, and over use of one side would cause him to overheat or become frostbitten. He is considered the strongest student in the class. He is the youngest child of Endeavor, who was said to be the second best hero after All Might. However, his father only married his mother for her Quirk, hoping that he could give birth to a child who could beat All Might, leading to an abusive childhood as all of his older siblings were unable to meet his expectations. Shoto's mother soon became afraid that Shoto would become like his father, leading to her burning his fire side with scalding water in hopes of making his father uninterested in him. Because she was later institutionalized in a mental hospital for her actions, Shoto intends to become a top hero using only his mother's Quirk instead of his father's as his way to dishonor him. In his fight with Izuku, Shoto finally started to try accepting his Fire Quirk as his own instead of his father's. After that, he decided to overcome his inner struggle by meeting his mother, in the hope that they can get through their past together. So far Shoto has used his own name as his Hero name.
- Toshinori Yagi / All Might
- The world's greatest Hero, All Might's real Quirk is not known to the public and most people say that he has some strength-enhancing Quirk. He passes his quirk on to Izuku after seeing the boy's bravery. He is a teacher at U.A. High School, doing his best to allow Izuku follow in his foot steps. His One For All Quirk allows him to pass on his powers to another, which he plans on doing, as five years before, a fight with a Villain left All Might terribly injured to where he can only use his Quirk for three hours a day. This time limit later goes down slowly after passing his Quirk to Izuku, until it finishes completely. The nature of his Quirk is only known by Izuku, the school principal, Recovery Girl, and a few other Pro Heroes (with Katsuki later finding it out), and must not be revealed at any cost in order not to destroy people's symbol of peace. After defeating his archenemy "All For One", the same Villain who injured him, in a final battle, All Might retires from being a hero, focusing on being a teacher and to raise Izuku as his successor.
Class 1-A[change | change source]
- Yuga Aoyama / I Can't Stop Twinkling
- Yuga is another boy in Class 1-A, apparently born in France. He is always seen smiling and is incredibly vain, often talking about how much luster he has, much to others' irritation. His Quirk is "Navel Laser," which allows him to fire a laser blast from his belly button, but cannot shoot it for longer than a few seconds or his stomach will collapse in on itself.
- Tsuyu Asui / Froppy
- A girl in Class 1-A. Her Quirk "Frog" gives her a frog-like appearance and abilities such as superior swimming, a tongue that can stretch 20 meters, sticking to and climbing walls, superhuman leaping, and numbing venom. She has a type of plain and normative personality, but she is insightful, intelligent, and ready to protect the innocent. She is also sharp, being the first one in the class to notice the similarity between Izuku and All Might's Quirk, which panicked Izuku.
- Momo Yaoyorozu / Creati
- The vice class president of Class 1-A, elected with one less vote than Izuku. Her Quirk is "Creation", having the ability to create any object of her choosing as long as she knows their molecular structures. Being incredibly smart, she is one of the top students in the class, having entered U.A. through a scholarship, although she has a self-esteem problem due to, in her mind, never being able to prove her own worth.
- Mezo Shoji / Tentacole
- One of the tallest students in Class 1-A. Shoji has four extra, webbed arms growing from his shoulders. His Quirk "Replication" allows him to grow individual body organs at the tips of these four limbs (he has so far shown to grow eyes, ears, hands, and mouths).
- Eijiro Kirishima / Red Riot
- A student in Class 1-A whose Quirk "Hardening" allows him to harden his body to become nearly invulnerable. His Hero name is inspired by another hero, Crimson Riot, whom he admires.
- Mina Ashido / Pinky
- A student in Class 1-A with pink hair and lilac skin. Her Quirk is "Acid" being able to eject an acidic fluid from her body, as well as controlling its strength and stickiness. She initially chose Alien Queen as her Hero name, but changed to her current one after the whole class compared the first choice to the xenomorph.
- Toru Hagakure / Invisible Girl
- A student in Class 1-A with an unnamed Quirk that makes her invisible. Except while in school, she mostly walks around nude to fully utilize her Quirk, but keeps on a pair of gloves and a pair of boots so people can know she is there. She is also believed to be the UA traitor by few viewers, but this has never been confirmed.
- Kyoka Jiro / Earphone Jack
- A girl in Class 1-A who has extremely long earlobes due to her Quirk "Headphone Jack", which allows her to plug her earlobes into headphone jacks to listen to sounds or to transmit the sound of her own heartbeat capable of reaching explosive levels.
- Minoru Mineta / Grape Juice
- A pervert student in Class 1-A who frequently makes lewd remarks and colored jokes. Mineta possesses "Pop-Off", a Quirk that grows sticky and detachable balls from his head. Mineta himself is unaffected to their sticky effects and able to trampoline on them as they are also extremely stretchy.
- Denki Kaminari / Chargebolt
- A student in Class 1-A and a playboy whose Quirk "Charge" allows him to absorb and emit electricity. While this quirk is powerful in its nature, overuse causes his brain to short circuit, causing him to become temporarily intellectually disabled.
- Fumikage Tokoyami / Tsukuyomi
- A very serious-minded student in 1-A whose head resembles that of a crow's. His Quirk, "Dark Shadow", gives him control of a sentient shadow that has a variety of uses, from attacking to defense to support. Within a dark environment, his shadow becomes more powerful but harder to control. Vice versa, if he is in a environment with a lot of light, it becomes easier to control but far weaker.
- Mashirao Ojiro / Tailman
- A mild-mannered student whose most defining trait is his Quirk "Tail", a strong yet sturdy part of his body which he can combine with martial arts in battle.
- Hanta Sero / Cellophane
- Another student in 1-A whose Quirk, "Tape", allows him to shoot cellophane tape from dispensers in his elbows.
- Koji Koda / Anima
- An extremely shy student whose body resembles a rock. His Quirk, "Animal Voice", allows him to communicate with animals, but unfortunately has an intense fear of insects.
- Rikido Sato / Sugarman
- A very muscular person with large mouth and black, spiky hair. His Quirk, "Sugar Rush" gives him five times his normal strength using 10g of sugar, but at the same time his brain functions gradually degrade.
Villains[change | change source]
All For One is the primary villain of My Hero Academia and the leader of the League of Villains, along with Tomura Shigaraki.
Originally Japan's most powerful villain and All Might's nemesis, he was defeated by All Might. His true motives are unclear and his true identity unknown, and his current goal is to raise Shigaraki to become his eventual successor, but was once again defeated by All Might in a rematch, which lead to the retirement of All Might.
Other media[change | change source]
On October 29, 2015, the series' official Twitter announced that My Hero Academia would receive an anime adaptation produced by Studio Bones, currently ongoing. A third season was announced in the 44th issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump magazine of 2017. A video game based on the anime, My Hero Academia: Battle for All, was announced in November 2015. The game was made by Dimps and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment for the Nintendo 3DS handheld game console, where it released in Japan on May 19, 2016. A second video game for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows will be released in 2018, titled My Hero Academia: One's Justice. An anime film was announced in December 2017, and will feature an original story.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Official Website for My Hero Academia". Viz Media. Retrieved October 26, 2017.
- ↑ "What My Hero Academia Gets About Superheroes that Western Comics Don't". Crunchyroll. Archived from the original on 2018-11-17. Retrieved 2018-11-17.
- ↑ "Official Shonen Jump website". Archived from the original on December 15, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- ↑ Sherman, Jennifer (November 17, 2018). "Viz Media Licenses My Hero Academia: Smash!!, Komi Can't Communicate, Beastars Manga". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- ↑ "My Hero Academia Anime to Air in MBS/TBS' 'Nichigo' Timeslot". Anime News Network. January 10, 2016. Archived from the original on January 11, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- ↑ "My Hero Academia Season 2 Anime to Air on NTV, YTV". Anime News Network. December 22, 2016. Archived from the original on December 23, 2016. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- ↑ "Exclusive: Animax Asia Airs Simulcast of My Hero Academia, Twin Star Exorcists". Anime News Network. March 28, 2016. Archived from the original on April 27, 2016. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- ↑ Loo, Egan (November 18, 2018). "My Hero Academia: Two Heroes Film's Bonus 'All Might: Rising' Manga Gets Animated". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- ↑ "Shonen Jump to Launch 4 Manga Series in Next 3 Issues". Anime News Network. June 25, 2014. Archived from the original on December 5, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- ↑ "My Hero Academia TV Anime Adaptation Confirmed". Anime News Network. October 29, 2015. Archived from the original on November 1, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.