|English: My Kazakhstan|
Text and score of the Kazakh national anthem.
|National anthem of||Kazakhstan|
|Lyrics||Jumeken Najimedenov, 1956|
Nursultan Nazarbayev, 2006
|Music||Shamshi Kaldayakov, 1956|
|Adopted||7 January 2006|
History[change | change source]
This song was originally a patriotic song written in 1956 in response to the Soviet Union's Virgin Lands programme. The tune was composed by Shámshi Qaldaıaqov with lyrics (words) by Jumeken Nájimedenov. In 2006, the first president of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev revised (changed) the lyrics before becoming the anthem.
Lyrics[change | change source]
Kazakh lyrics[change | change source]
Note that the Cyrillic script will be phased out by 2025 and the Arabic script isn't currently used in Kazakhstan at the moment.
(to be phased out by 2025)
Poetic English version (unofficial)[change | change source]
In thy sky sun o' gold,
In thy steppes seeds o' gold,
O' legends brave and bold,
My great country behold!
From thy antiquity
Emerged our glory.
Hath their honour died? Nay!
Stalwart my Kazakhs stay!
O my nation, beloved nation,
As thy flower I shall plant thee,
O nation as thy song I shall chant thee,
My native country is my Kazakhstan!
Fo' aeons we've lasted
In the vast land I have.
Our folk united
In this free land I have.
Together we've bonded,
Friendships we've extended,
What a bless'd land thou art,
Shalt thou be in my heart.
Parodies[change | change source]
There is a parody version of the anthem—in an entirely different tune—which comes at the end of 2005 mockumentary film Borat. It is titled "O Kazakhstan". The actor who played Borat Sagdiyev, Sacha Baron Cohen, has been threatened with lawsuits by the Government of Kazakhstan after the execution (release) of the film.
Playback incidents[change | change source]
In March 2012, the full Borat soundtrack was played at the International Shooting Grand Prix in Kuwait with Gold-winner Mariya Dmitriyenko. Kazakh officials were angered by this incident and complained. A few weeks earlier, at a festival of a ski resort in Qostanaı, the first part of Ricky Martin's single "Livin' La Vida Loca" was played accidentally before it was immediately changed to "Meniń Qazaqstanym".
References[change | change source]
- The CIA World Factbook 2012 Central Intelligence Agency - 2011 National anthem: name: “Menin Qazaqstanim” (My Kazakhstan) lyrics/music: Zhumeken NAZHIMEDENOV
- Marshall, Alex (2015). Republic or Death! Travels in Search of National Anthems. London: Random House Books. pp. 140–144. ISBN 9781847947413. 'Imagine if someone came and tried to break up London,' [Shamshi Kaldayakov's son] Mukhtar says, hitting a table in disgust. 'It's just like that. My father composed the song to stop them doing this. "Don't do it. This is our land."'
- https://web.archive.org/web/20071124051647/http://www.kazind.com/newsarchives/newsvol54.html Embassy of Kazakhstan in New Delhi, India : Weekly News. Archived 24 Novembet 2007.
- https://www.inform.kz/qz/content/245 Qazaqstan Respýblikasynıń Memlekettik Gimni. Kazinform.
- http://www.akorda.kz/kz/state_symbols/kazakhstan_anthem Қазақстан Республикасының Мемлекеттік Гимні. akorda.kz
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070224150143/http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2005/11/25/borat-lawsuit-051125.html CBC.ca Arts – British comic responds to legal threat against 'Borat'. CBC Arts. 24 February 2007.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120326205959/http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/borat-anthem-played-mistake-medals-ceremony-112050453.html Borat anthem played by mistake at medals ceremony. Eurosport Yahoo! UK. 24 March 2012.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17491344 Borat anthem stuns Kazakh gold medallist in Kuwait BBC. 23 March 2012.
- https://www.rferl.org/amp/kazakhstan_ski_festival_ricky_martin_lavidaloca_national_anthem/24510271.html Kazakhs Get 'La Vida Loca' Instead Of National Anthem. RadioFreeLiberty. 9 March 2012. Retrieved 25 May 2020.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Lyrics to the original song (1956)
- "My Kazakhstan (1956 song)", archived Wikipedia revision, as edited by Ulysses Faye Ohkiph at 16:08, 30 October 2017 – contains lyrics of old song
- "Meniñ Qazaqstanım (1956) [Original Kazakh National Anthem-Song]" (uploaded of "Kingworld30") — Original 1956 song,
- Playback incidents
- "KAZAKHSTAN NATIONAL ANTHEM FAIL!" (uploaded by "Sergio Ledovsky") – Wrong song played briefly at the Qostanaı ski resort in early 2012.
- "Borat spoof Kazakhstan anthem by mistake in medal presentation with English subtitles words" (uploaded by "bluegumtv") – The incident that occurred in Kuwait.
Anthem of the Republic of Kazakhstan
| National Anthem of Kazakhstan