Opera (web browser)
|Developer(s)||Opera Software ASA|
|Initial release||late 1994|
|Stable release||15.0.1147.141 (July 10, 2013[±])|
19.0.1326.26 (January 8, 2014[±])
Mac OS X
Solaris until v. 10.11
|Available in||56 languages|
|Type||Web browser and Internet suite|
|License||Proprietary freeware with open source components|
Opera is a set of tools for the Internet that includes a web browser, e-mail, webfeed reader, and IRC Chat. There are versions available for several operating systems. These include Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, and Linux. There are also version for mobile phones, personal digital assistants, game consoles, and interactive televisions.
History[change | change source]
Opera was created in 1994 at Telenor, which is Norway's largest telecommunications company. In 1995, Opera became its own company called Opera Software ASA.
Features[change | change source]
- Security: Opera helps protect against computer viruses. When accessing a certain page opera will warn the user beforehand that the site may impose a threat to their computer. The user can decide to open the web page or not.
- Tabs: Users can save an unlimited number of tabs on their computer, so the next time that the users utilized their PC the pages will still be there. The order of the tabs can be changed, by dragging and dropping them in their needed location. 
- Blocking: Users can block unwanted spam and pop ups, and the blocking features allow the individual to inactivate certain elements.
- Resizing: Users can use the zoom button to change the size of the text on the screen, also the ‘Fit to Width’ button is available to change the size of the web page to evade horizontal scrolling.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Opera version history — Opera 1 series". Opera Software. 21 Februar 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-09-06. Retrieved 21 Februar 2012. Check date values in:
- Lextrait, Vincent (July 2010). "The Programming Languages Beacon, v10.3". Archived from the original on 2012-05-30. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Opera browser language files". Opera Software. Archived from the original on 2012-06-28. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Opera 12.00 Beta for Windows Changelog". Opera Software. Archived from the original on 2012-09-14. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Changelog for Opera 9.0 Beta 1 for Windows". Opera Software. Archived from the original on 2012-09-14. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "The Best Browsers for Android: Rating Top-10". GeekNose. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- Biography for Opera on IMDb
- About Opera, URL accessed on 13 January, 2011
- "Affiliated Organization of Firefox and Mozilla" (PDF). Mozilla Japan. Mozilla Foundation. 2006. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Milestones". Opera Software. 2007. Archived from the original on 23 November 2007. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- Schenk, Mark (2010). "Opera browser version history". Retrieved 5 September 2010.