The Ottoman Dynasty (or the Imperial House of Osman) ruled the Ottoman Empire from 1299 to 1922. The dynasty began with Osman I, but it was not recognized until 1383 when Murad I declared himself sultan. The dynasty might have been known as Söğüt before 1383, but it was later renamed Osmanlı (Ottoman in English) in honor of Osman I.
The sultan was the sole ruler of the empire. The power was often shifted to other officials, such as the Grand Vizier.
Heads of the House of Osman[change | change source]
Pre-Imperial Heads of the House of Osman[change | change source]
|Name||Born-Died||Reign start||Reign end||Relationship|
|Süleyman Shah (Bey)||1168 - 1227||1212||1227||Son of Kaya Alp|
|Ertugrul (Bey)||1198 - 1281||1227||1281||Son of Suleyman Shah|
Imperial heads of the House of Osman (1281-1922)[change | change source]
Post-Imperial Heads of the House of Osman (1922-Present)[change | change source]
|Name||Born-Died||Reign start||Reign end|
|Abdulmecid II||1868 - 1944||19 November 1922||23 August 1944|
|Ahmed IV Nihad||1883 - 1954||23 August 1944||4 June 1954|
|Osman IV Fuad||1895 - 1973||4 June 1954||19 May 1973|
|Mehmed Abdulaziz II||1901 - 1977||19 May 1973||19 January 1977|
|Ali Vâsib||1903 - 1983||19 January 1977||9 December 1983|
|Mehmed VII Orhan||1909 - 1994||9 December 1983||12 March 1994|
|Ertuğrul Osman V||1912 - 2009||12 March 1994||23 September 2009|
Expelled from the Imperial House[change | change source]
- (Şehzade) Mahmud Şevket (Efendi Hazretleri) (1903, Istanbul - 1973, France) was expelled and deprived of the title of Prince and the style of His Highness from the Imperial House of Osman by His Imperial Majesty, the last Caliph Abdülmecid II. in 1931. He d. in France 1973, having had issue:
(a) HIH Princess Hamide Nermin Nezahat Sultana [1923 - 1998] by Adile Hanimsultan, a granddaughter of Abdülhamid II.
Excluded from the line of sucssession[change | change source]
- Mehmed Selim Orhan, (born in Paris, 3. October 1943 - 17. May 1998, descendant of Abdul Hamid II through Mehmed VII Orhan), deprived since birth of title HIH Şehzade, because he was born before his parents married in 1944.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to House of Osman.|
- Turkey, includes all the full ruler styles with various biographical data in the Royal Ark
- Sultans, Contemporary Paintings Archived 2005-04-07 at the Wayback Machine by İsmail Acar
- Everything about Ottoman Empire Everything about the history, culture and civilization of Ottoman Empire
- MSN encarta - the Ottoman Empire Archived 2009-11-01 at WebCite (see Sultanate)
- WorldStatesmen- Turkey
- Ottoman Dynasty meet at Dolmabahçe Palace
- Ottoman Empire - The Family