|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Location||Elche, Province of Alicante, Valencian Community, Spain|
|Criteria||Cultural: (ii), (v)|
|Inscription||2000 (24th Session)|
In the urban area of Elche there are a total of 97 different orchards. They contain about 70,000 date palms. Most of them are in the east bank of the Vinalopó. This number does not include other large plantations located around the city. The total may be near 200,000 palms. The Palm Grove covers over 3.5 km2 (1.4 sq mi), including 1.5 km2 (0.58 sq mi) in the city of Elche.
References[change | change source]
- David Sevilla (27 July 2014). "El Palmeral crece a la sombra del picudo". LA VERDAD MULTIMEDIA, S.A. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "The Palm Grove". VisitElche.com. n.d. Archived from the original on 28 July 2014. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "Palmeral of Elche". UNESCO World Heritage Centre. n.d. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "El Palmeral de Elche". Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte. 2000. Archived from the original on 30 November 2014. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "Lista de 100 finalistas de Nuestros 12 Tesoros de España". Sobreturismo.es. 2007-11-27. Retrieved 2014-10-06.