A Panchayat Town or Town Panchayat is a type of town in India. It refers to any small town which is formed under the Panchayati raj administrative system. It will have under 25,000 people living there. In census data, the abbreviation T.P. is used to indicate a "Town Panchayat". Tamil Nadu was the first state to introduce the panchayat town as an intermediate step between rural villages and Urban Local Bodies (ULB).
Management[change | change source]
Each state of India has an organisation that manages panchayat towns.
- Karnataka: Directorate of Municipal Administration
- Kerala: Local Self Government Department
- Tamil Nadu: Directorate of Town Panchayats
Notes[change | change source]
- "About Us: Urbanization in Karnataka, ULB Organization Chart, DMA Organization Chart". Directorate of Municipal Administration, Government of Karnataka. 2 February 2013. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013. http://www.municipaladmn.gov.in/abt-us.
- "Census Data 2001 / Metadata: 24. Abbreviations Used". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 17 June 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070617234445/http://www.censusindia.gov.in/Metadata/Metada.htm.
- "About Us: Town Panchayats Administration: Introduction". Directorate of Town Panchayats, Government of Tamil Nadu. Archived from the original on 22 January 2012. http://web.archive.org/web/20120122073525/http://www.tn.gov.in/dtp/introduction.htm.
- "Local Self Government Department". Local Self Government Department, Government of erala. http://www.lsgkerala.gov.in/en/LSGDDept_en.php.
- "Directorate of Town Panchayats". Directorate of Town Panchayats, Government of Tamil Nadu. http://www.tn.gov.in/dtp/.