Phil Jones (footballer)
||This article needs to be updated. (February 2016)|
|Full name||Philip Anthony Jones|
|Date of birth||21 February 1992|
|Place of birth||Preston, England|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Current club||Manchester United|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:57, 14 August 2011 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Philip Anthony "Phil" Jones (born 21 February 1992) is an English footballer. Jones plays as a defender for Manchester United and the England under-21 national team. He played for Blackburn Rovers at both youth and senior levels before joining Manchester United. Jones usually plays central defender, but can also play as a right back or defensive midfielder.
Club career[change | change source]
Blackburn Rovers[change | change source]
Jones was born in Preston, Lancashire. He grew up in Clayton-le-Woods. He joined Blackburn Rovers' youth team in 2002. He joined the senior team for the 2009–10 Premier League season. Jones signed a two-year contract with the team. He wore uniform number 28 for Blackburn. He played his first game for Blackburn on 22 September 2009 in a League Cup game against Nottingham Forest. Blackburn won 1–0. In February 2010, he signed a new five-year contract. The contract had a £16 million release clause. Jones made his first Premier League start for Blackburn against Chelsea on 21 March. The game was a 1–1 draw at Ewood Park.
Jones started the 2010–11 season in midfield. He became one of the starters for the team. Jones hurt his knee in a game against West Ham United in December 2010. He could not play for three months because of the injury.
Manchester United[change | change source]
On 13 June 2011, Manchester United said that they had reached a deal to sign Jones. The deal was for an undisclosed transfer fee. The deal would be finished upon his return from international games. He played his first game for the club on the 2011 pre-season tour to the USA, in United's 3–1 victory over Chicago Fire. Jones played as a second-half substitute, replacing Rio Ferdinand, in a 3–2 win over rivals Manchester City in the 2011 Community Shield. Jones played in his first Premier League game for United a week later. He entered again as a substitute for Ferdinand. United beat West Bromwich Albion 2–1 on the opening weekend.
International career[change | change source]
On 4 August 2010, Jones joined the England under-21 squad. On 10 August, Jones won his first under-21 cap, starting for England against Uzbekistan. He was substituted in the 46th minute and was replaced by Liverpool's Martin Kelly. He was selected for the 2011 U-21 European Championship in Denmark. Manager Stuart Pearce made Jones the captain of the team.
In November 2011, he competed in two home games for England at Wembley. The first was a 1-0 win against the world champions, Spain. The second was also a 1-0 win over Sweden. In both games he played midfield, this is in contrast to his 'right back' role for his club side, Manchester United.
Career statistics[change | change source]
|Club||Season||League||Cup||League Cup||Europe||Other[nb 1]||Total|
Honours[change | change source]
Club[change | change source]
- Manchester United
Notes[change | change source]
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the FA Community Shield
References[change | change source]
- "April 2010 Player Registrations" (PDF). TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- "Profile: Phil Jones". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Premier League Player Profile". premierleague.com. Premier League. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Manchester United secure deal for Blackburn's Phil Jones". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 13 June 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Jones Signs 2-year Deal at Rovers". rovers.co.uk. Blackburn Rovers FC. 4 September 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- "Nottm Forest 0–1 Blackburn". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 22 September 2009. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- "Manchester United set to complete £16m deal for Blackburn's Phil Jones". The Guardian. London. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- Ashenden, Mark (21 March 2010). "Blackburn 1–1 Chelsea". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- "Blackburn defender Phil Jones faces lengthy absence". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Blackpool | Match | Report | 19 March 2011, Blackburn 2 - 2 Blackpool". blackpoolfc.co.uk. 2011. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Bostock, Adam (13 June 2011). "United seal Jones deal". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Coppack, Nick (23 July 2011). "Chicago Fire 1 United 3". ManUtd.com. Manchester United. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- Bevan, Chris (7 August 2011). "Man City 2-3 Man Utd". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- Chowdhury, Saj (14 August 2011). "West Brom 1–2 Man Utd". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- "Phil Jones". TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- Bradbury, Jamie (10 August 2010). "Rose and Kelly on the mark". TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- Tongue, Steve (21 June 2011). "England Under-21s lack character and creativity". The Independent. London. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- Austin, Simon (5 August 2011). "Man Utd defender Phil Jones included in England squad". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "England match against the Netherlands off after riots". BBC Sport. 9 August 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.