|Comune di Piombino|
|Frazioni||Populonia, Baratti, Riotorto|
|• Mayor||Gianni Anselmi (since June 2004)|
|• Total||129 km2 (50 sq mi)|
|Elevation||21 m (69 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saint Anastasia|
|Saint day||May 8|
It has an ancient historical centre, derived from the time in which it was the Etruscans' port, near the area of Populonia. In the Middle Ages, it was an important port of Pisa's Republic. Still today Piombino is one of biggest port in Italy, and is one of the most used port for to go in the Elba Island, (with the port of Livorno). Piombino outside the down town has a very big industrial area.
Important places and monuments[change | change source]
- Cathedral of Sant'Antimo (c. 1377), built by the Augustinians and originally dedicated to St. Michael.
- The Rivellino (Walls Tower-Gate), the most ancient monument in the city (1212).
- The Chiesa della Misericordia (early 13th century). Inside this church there is a rare 15th century crucifix.
- The Cassero Pisano a castel, built under Cosimo I de' Medici the castel was used as military jail until 1959.
- The Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall), mostly a modern reconstruction of the ancient Palazzo degli Anziani (1435). In the Musters Hall, with portraits of the Princes of Piombino.
- Chapel of St. Anne, a noteworthy Renaissance work by Guardi.
- The Cisterna di Cittadella (Citadel's Cistern), also by Guardi. On the sides are the portraits of Jacopo III Appiani and his son and wife, later damaged by order of Cesare Borgia.
- Casa delle Bifore (1280).
- The Natural Province Reserve Padule Orti Bottagone, created in 1998.
Other[change | change source]
Medals[change | change source]
Comuni near Piombino[change | change source]
Twin cities[change | change source]
Population history[change | change source]
|December 31, 2004||34,369|
References[change | change source]
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official website of the Commune of Piombino (in Italian)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Piombino.|