|Developer(s)||Next Level Games|
|Platform(s)||Wii, Wii U (Nintendo eShop)|
|Genre(s)||Boxing, fighting, sports|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, Two-player, Multiplayer|
Play[change | change source]
Punch-Out!! stars a boxer named Little Mac working his way up the professional boxing circuits, facing a series of colorful boxers. The game requires good speed to keep up with the boxers who are controlled by the Wii. Some of the new opponents in this game are Disco Kid, Giga Mac and Donkey Kong. There are also ten boxers from old versions of Punch-Out!!.
The player must react quickly and spot the moves the opponent is about to make. They need to dodge or block their attacks, before returning with attacks to either the body or the head with the left and right fists. Hitting a weak point at the right time earns stars, with the player able to save up to three stars, losing them if they are hit. When the player has one or more stars, they can perform a Star Punch which deals extra damage. Each fighter has a gauge which must be run down in order to knock the opponent down. Also the player has a heart counter that goes down if they are hit, or if their attacks are blocked. If it reaches zero, the player cannot attack. The player wins a match by either knocking out their opponent (either by a ten count or because they are unable to recover), earning a "technical knock out" by knocking them down three times in a single round, or winning by decision after three rounds have passed. If the player is hit by a knockout punch, it is possible to recover.
Development[change | change source]
The game was revealed in 2008 at the Nintendo Media Summit, where a fifteen second trailer was shown. It was later announced that it was being developed by Next Level Games which had worked with Nintendo on games such as Super Mario Strikers. Nintendo wished to make a new game similar to the original Punch-Out!! for the NES, so they asked the studio to design the game to be exactly like it and the characters to look like the original games.
References[change | change source]
- Harris, Craig (2008-10-02). "Punch-Out!! to Next Level". IGN.
- "Shigeru Miyamoto Interviews Me About Hardcore Games, Also Talks 'Punch-Out' And 'Mario,' 'Zelda' Shortcomings". Multiplayerblog.mtv.com. 2008-10-29. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- Bailey, Kat (2008-10-01). "Nintendo Reveals Punch-Out!! Wii, Sin and Punishment 2, And More". 1UP.com.
- Romero, Josh (9 May 2009). "Punch-Out Nintendo World contest looking for best virtual boxer". Video Games Blogger. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Plunkett, Luke (March 19, 2009). "Punch-Out Dated For Europe". Kotaku. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- Otero, Jose (2015-01-14). "Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy Coming to Wii U". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 2015-01-14.
- DeVries, Jack (October 2, 2008). "Punch-Out!! Coming to Wii". IGN. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- Totilo, Stephen (July 27, 2009). "Punch-Out Devs Talk Graphics, Difficulty, Nixed Princess Peach Idea". Kotaku. Retrieved June 17, 2012.