Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rudolf Joseph Lorenz Steiner
27 February 1861
|Died||30 March 1925 (aged 64)|
|Education||Vienna Institute of Technology|
University of Rostock (PhD, 1891)
Holism in science
|Academic advisors||Karl Julius Schröer|
|Metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of science, esotericism, Christianity|
|Anthroposophy, anthroposophical medicine, biodynamic agriculture, eurythmy, social threefolding, spiritual science, Waldorf education, holism in science|
Rudolf Steiner (27 February 1861 – 30 March 1925) was an Austrian founder of anthroposophy, esotericist, social reformer. His important work was The Philosophy of Freedom. Under his leadership, Goetheanum was built.
Biography[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Steiner's autobiography gives his date of birth as 27 February 1861. However, there is an undated autobiographical fragment written by Steiner, referred to in a footnote in his autobiography in German (GA 28), that says, "My birth fell on 25 February 1861. Two days later I was baptized." See Christoph Lindenberg, Rudolf Steiner, Rowohlt 1992, ISBN 3-499-50500-2, p. 8. In 2009 new documentation appeared supporting a date of 27 February : see Günter Aschoff, "Rudolf Steiners Geburtstag am 27. Februar 1861 – Neue Dokumente" Archived 28 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine, Das Goetheanum 2009/9, pp. 3ff
- Peter Selg (2014), Rudolf Steiner, Life and Work: Volume 1 (1861-1890): Childhood, Youth, and Study Years, SteinerBooks. ISBN 978-1-62148-084-6. Chapter 2
- Carlson, Maria (2015). No Religion Higher Than Truth: A History of the Theosophical Movement in Russia, 1875–1922. p. 33. ISBN 978-0-69160781-8.
- Helmut Zander, Anthroposophie in Deutschland, Göttingen, 2007, ISBN 3-525-55452-4.
- Preparata, Guido Giacomo (Fall 2006), "Perishable Money in a Threefold Commonwealth: Rudolf Steiner and the Social Economics of an Anarchist Utopia", Review of Radical Economics, 38 (4): 619–48, doi:10.1177/0486613406293226, S2CID 145257311.
- Paddock & Spiegler 2005
- "Rudolf Steiner - Great Buildings Online". Retrieved 2 July 2021.