Sembawang MRT station
Exit A of Sembawang MRT station
|Location||11 Canberra Road|
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation)|
|Platforms||2 (1 island platform)|
|Connections||Sembawang Bus Interchange, Taxi|
|Parking||Yes (Sun Plaza)|
|Opened||10 February 1996|
The station is in the middle of two roads, Sembawang Way and Sembawang Alley. The station is next to a shopping mall Sun Plaza. A bus station called Sembawang Bus Interchange is also close to the station.
History[change | change source]
When the North South Line is planned, there is a station called Sembawang. It is between two other stations - Yio Chu Kang and Yishun. The station is now named Khatib.
In 1990, North South Line Woodlands Extension was planed. Sembawang was not part of this planned route. Later, the Singapore government agree to built this station . The station opened on 10 February 1996. The area around the station was not yet filled with anything. Only Canberra Road and a very small Sembawang New Town are located nearby.
There are a lot of passengers who fell down into the tracks of the Station. Some passengers also go into the tracks illegally. In 2011, the Land Transport Authority started to build low doors and barriers around the tracks. They were completed in 2012.
This station also have high-volume low-speed fans installed in 2012.
References[change | change source]
- "A Journey Into Singapore's MRT past".
- Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala (10 November 2003). "Woodlands MRT line". National Library Board Singapore. Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Thulaja, Naidu Ratnala (14 November 2003). "Sembawang MRT Station". National Library Board Singapore. Archived from the original on 11 February 2012. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Wong, Siew Ying (26 January 2008). "Above-ground MRT stations to have platform screen doors by 2012". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- "Enhancing Connectivity and Comfort for Commuters". Land Transport Authority. October 13, 2011. Archived from the original on 25 December 2012. Retrieved July 6, 2012.