SHINee is a South Korean boy band formed by SM Entertainment The members are Onew, Jonghyun, Minho, Key, Taemin (order from oldest to youngest). The groups first album named “Replay-The first mini album” was released on the 22nd of May 2008, but the group officially debuted on the 25th of May 2008 with the song Noonan neomu yeppeo (누난 너무 예뻐) Or better known as replay.
Members[change | change source]
Current[change | change source]
- Onew (Lee Jin-ki): Position: Leader and Lead Vocalist
- Jonghyun (Kim Jong-Hyun): Position: Main Vocalist.
- Key (Kim Ki-bum): Position: Vocalist, Lead Rapper and Lead Dancer
- Minho (Choi Min-ho): Position: Main Rapper, Vocalist and Visual
- Taemin (Lee Tae-min): Position: Vocalist, Main Dancer and Maknae
History[change | change source]
2008: Debut[change | change source]
In late May 2008 news articles started to surface online about SM Entertainment's new group, SHINee (pronounced "shiny"). On May 23, the group's first mini-album, Replay was released. Replay debuted at #10 on the Korean music charts and peaked at #8, selling 17,957 copies in the first half of 2008.
On June 7, 2008, SHINee participated in the Dream Concert in the Seoul Olympic Stadium along with other high profile Korean stars such as Epik High, Girls' Generation, Super Junior, TVXQ and the Wonder Girls. The group won their first award, Rookie of the Month, at the Cyworld Digital Music Award on June 22, 2008. SHINee took part in SMTown Live '08, which was held on August 18, 2008. They performed alongside labelmates BoA, Cheon Sang Ji Hee the Grace, Girls' Generation, Super Junior and TVXQ. On August 23, 2008, SHINee attended MNet's 20's Choice Awards 2008, where they won the "Hot New Star" award. SHINee released their full debut album, The SHINee World, on August 28, 2008. The album debuted on the charts at #3, selling 30,000 copies.
The first single released from the album was "Sanso Gateun Neo (Love Like Oxygen)" (산소 같은 너 (Love Like Oxygen), lit. You Like Are Like Oxygen), a cover of "Show the World" by Martin Hoberg Hedegaard, originally written by the Danish songwriting and production team of Thomas Troelsen, Remee and Lucas Secon. On September 18, 2008, SHINee's "Sanso Gateun Neo (Love Like Oxygen)" was the #1 song on M! Countdown. A few days later, SHINee received the "Mutizen" award for the single on SBS's Popular Songs. SHINee participated in the "5th Asia Song Festival", where they received the "Best New Artist" award with Japanese girl group Berryz Kobo.
SHINee attended the 2008 Style Icon Awards on October 30, 2008, where they won the "Best Style Icon Award". On the same day, they released The SHINee World as a repackaged album under the name Amigo. Included on album were three new songs: "Forever or Never", a remix of "Sa. Gye. Han (Love Should Go On)" (사.계.한) and the promotional single "A.Mi.Go (Amigo)" (아.미.고). "A.Mi.Go" is a shortened version of the Korean phrase "Areumdaun Minyeorueljoahamyeon Gosaenghanda" (아름다운 미녀를 좋아하면 고생한다 lit. Heart Aches When You Fall In Love With a Beauty).
On November 15, 2008 SHINee won the "Best Male Rookie" award at the 10th annual MNET KM Music Festival, beating fellow newcomers U-Kiss, 2PM, 2AM and Mighty Mouth. At the 23rd Annual Golden Disk Awards, they performed a medley of their songs, "Noonan Neomu Yeppeo (Replay)", "Sanso Gateun Neo (Love Like Oxygen)" and "A.Mi.Go (Amigo)" and won the award for "YEPP Newcomer Album".
2009–2011 Mini-albums[change | change source]
SM Entertainment announced that SHINee would make their comeback with their second mini album Romeo on May 21, 2009. On May 18, "Juliette", the first single was released; the song is instrumentally a remake of Corbin Bleu's "Deal With It". It was later announced that their comeback was going to be delayed due to Onew damaging his teeth and the release of the mini-album was pushed back to May 25. SHINee eventually had their return performance on June 5, 2009, on KBS's Music Bank, where they received the award for first place.
The group released their third mini-album, titled 2009: Year of Us, on October 19, 5 months after the release of Romeo. SM Entertainment stated that this EP would showcase the group's vocals and demonstrate their unique qualities. The lead single "Ring Ding Dong" was released digitally on October 14; the group had their comeback stage on October 16, on KBS's Music Bank.
On July 19, 2010, the group released their second studio album, Lucifer. It topped several charts in South Korea. The album was nominated for the Best Dance Performance Award at the Mnet Asian Music Awards. The album became the 6th best selling album of 2010 in South Korea. On December 26, 2010, the band began their first concert tour, SHINee World.
2016–present: "D×D×D," "1 of 1," "Five," “Don't call me”, “Atlantis”[change | change source]
On January 1, 2016, SHINee released their fourth Japanese album D×D×D. The album reached the top of the Oricon charts for 2 weeks in a row. To promote the album, they began their fourth Japanese tour that began on January 30, 2016, and ended on May 16, 2016. The tour had a total of 20 concerts in 9 cities. Toward the end of the year, SHINee released their fifth Korean album, "1 of 1," which charted #1 on the Korean Charts and #14 in the US. Their song, "Tell Me What to Do" (part of repackaging, "1 and 1") was #35 on YouTube's trending list.
On February 22, 2017, SHINee released their fifth Japanese album Five. They began their fifth Japanese tour with a total of 25 concerts in 10 cities.
On the 10th of September, SHINee released their sixth album. Named the story of Light’ Epilogue containing songs from their previous three mini albums The story of Light’ Ep.1,Ep.2 and Ep.3.
After a two year break, SHINee came back on the 22nd of February 2021 with their seventh album called "Don't call me". With songs such as Don't call me, Body Rhythm and Attention.
On the 12th of April, SHINee released the album repackage of "Don't call me" named “Atlantis” with three new songs, “Atlantis”, “Area” and “Days and Years”.
Awards[change | change source]
Other Activities[change | change source]
SHINee has taken part in various other activities including TV advertisements, a reality show, Drama OST, and so on. They also did a reality show named "Yun Ha Nam" for women older than them. They were also the public representatives for the Korean Youth Federation and many others. SHINee also sang songs for TV drama OST, including "Stand By Me" for the famous Korean drama "Boys Over Flowers". They also featured in the second season of the reality show "Hello Baby".
It was announced that SHINee with be performing along side with Jay Park, B1A4, Teen Top and the much buzzed about new band 220.127.116.11 on 15 June 2012 at Singapore indoor stadium.
References[change | change source]
- (in Korean) "SM's new 5-member group - Shinee". Newsen. Kim Hyeong Woo. May 19, 2008. Retrieved May 21, 2008.
- (in Korean) "SM's Secret Weapon, "Shinee" and 22nd First Stage". Star News. May 22, 2008. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- (in Korean) "2008 First Half-year Sales". Miak.or.kr. Archived from the original on December 19, 2008. Retrieved January 18, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Jewelry, ET Unique Martial Arts, Dance, Dance In Public". Star News. June 7, 2008. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Photo-Shinee "Poses a Different"". Star News. June 7, 2008. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- (in Korean) "[Video] Alex's' fern ', Source Cyworld Month award!". Afpbb. June 23, 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-04.[permanent dead link]
- "Concerts to Rock Independence Day". The Korea Times. Han, Sang-hee. August 10, 2008. Retrieved January 18, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Lee Hyori- 2 Gold The Harmony". Star News. August 23, 2008. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Shinee "Newcomer Goals, Still Stands Out!" (Interview)". Star News. August 28, 2008. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- (in Korean) "August Album Sales". Miak.or.kr. Archived from the original on December 11, 2008. Retrieved January 18, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Shinee Sanso Gateun Neo (Love Like Oxygen)". Star News. August 20, 2008. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "Shinee iple Album Review Page, In English". S.M. Entertainment. Archived from the original on January 23, 2009. Retrieved January 18, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Shinee, No. 1 Debut, The First Four Months Tears". Joins. October 26, 2008. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "5th Asia Song Festival Bigger Than Ever". The Korea Times. Cathy Rose A. Garcia. September 19, 2008. Retrieved January 18, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Shinee - Michael Jackson Surprise Transformation". Joins. October 30, 2008. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Shinee New Song, Amigo". Yahoo Korea. October 26, 2008. Archived from the original on February 18, 2007. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Shinee and Davichi Win At MKMF". Newsen. November 15, 2008. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- (in Korean) "Golden Disk Shinee Newcomer". Joins. December 10, 2008. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- (in Korean) "샤이니, 로미오로 누나들 마음 '설레게 한다'". IB Times. May 12, 2009. Archived from the original on April 19, 2012. Retrieved May 12, 2009.
- (in Korean) Im, I-rang (May 20, 2009). "Shinee's Onew Injures Front Teeth Two Days Before Comeback Performance". MyDaily. Retrieved May 22, 2009.
- (in Korean) Kang, Seung-hoon (May 20, 2009). "Onew's Extraordinary Injury Causes 1-2 Week Delay". Joins.com. Retrieved May 22, 2009.
- (in Korean) Park, Se-yeon. ‘로미오’ 변신 샤이니 ‘줄리엣’ 노래하다..21일 2nd 미니앨범 공개 (Shinee Change into "Romeos" and sing "Juliette"...2nd Mini-Album Released on 21st). Newsen. May 18, 2009. Retrieved November 12, 2009.
- (in Korean) Kang, Seung-hoon (May 21, 2009). "Shinee Releases Second Mini Album on 1-Year Anniversary". Asia Economy. Retrieved May 22, 2009.
- (in Korean) Kim, Hyeong-wu. 샤이니 컴백 첫무대에 눈물흘린 사연은? 신곡 ‘줄리엣’ 뮤직뱅크 1위 대박 (Shinee's Reason for Crying on First Comeback Performance? New Song "Juliette" is Music Bank #1)[permanent dead link]. Joins.com/Newsen. June 5, 2009. Retrieved June 5, 2009.
- (in Korean) 샤이니, 19일 세번째 미니음반 발표 (Shinee, Third Mini-album Released on 19th). Yonhap News. October 8, 2009. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- (in Korean) 샤이니 19일 깜짝 컴백 ‘파격 변신 선언 기대증폭’ (Shinee Returning Surprisingly on 19th, Exceptional Qualities to be Showcased) Archived 2020-04-18 at the Wayback Machine. Joins.com/Newsen. Ocotber 8, 2009. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- (in Korean) ‘거친 남자’ 샤이니, 카리스마 ‘링딩동’ 14일 공개 (Tough Shinee, Charismatic 'Ring Ding Dong' to be Released on 14th) Archived 2012-01-14 at the Wayback Machine. Eco Today. October 12, 2009. Retrieved October 12, 2009.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SHINee.|