Republic of Vietnam
Việt Nam Cộng hòa
Motto: Tổ Quốc - Danh Dự - Trách nhiệm
(English: Fatherland - Honor - Duty)
Anthem: Tiếng Gọi Công dân
(English: Call to the Citizens)
|Recognised national languages||French|
|Government||Unitary presidential constitutional republic (1955 - 1963 and 1967 - 1975)|
Military junta (1963 - 1967)
|Historical era||Cold War and Vietnam War|
|26 October 1955|
|1 November 1963|
|2 November 1963|
• Second Republic established
|1 April 1967|
|27 January 1973|
|30 April 1975|
|173,809 km2 (67,108 sq mi)|
|Today part of|| Vietnam|
South Vietnam, officially the Republic of Vietnam was a country that existed from 1955 to 1975. It occupied in the southern of what is now Southern Vietnam. The country was south of the local Demilitarized Zone.
History[change | change source]
South Vietnam establised on 26 October, 1955 after the 1955 Referendum. It was first ruled by Ngo Dinh Diem until 1963. After the 1963 coup, South Vietnam was run by a military government. It lasted until 1967. From 1967, On 1 April, 1967, the Second Republic was established. This Second Republic lasted until the Fall of Saigon when the president Duong Van Minh surrendered to Viet Cong. South Vietnam ceased to exist on 30 April, 1975. This day is also known as Black April to Vietnamese anti-communists.
See also[change | change source]
Notes[change | change source]
- This shows how many people who lived in a land from Quang Tri Province to the South in 1974. The fact is, South Vietnam only controlled parts of that population. The remaining was under control of Republic of South Vietnam.
- In 1974, South Vietnam lost its control of Hoang Sa Islands to China.
- Following the surrender of Saigon to North Vietnamese forces on 30 April 1975, the Provisional Revolutionary Government of the Republic of South Vietnam officially became the government of South Vietnam. But the fact that is, the Republic of South Vietnam was established on 6 June, 1969.
- Now, the Hoang Sa Islands and parts of the Truong Sa Vietnam, which were once controlled by the RVN, are now controlled by China.