The Southern Ocean is the ocean around Antarctica. It means the waters of the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans around the continent of Antarctica. Since the 1770s geographers have discussed its limits. Nowadays, sixty degrees south latitude is often accepted. Some people call this ocean the Antarctic Ocean.
The total area is 20,327,000 km², and the coastline length is 17,968 km.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southern Ocean.|
- Oceanography Image of the Day, from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- The CIA World Factbook's entry on the Southern Ocean
- The Fifth Ocean from Geography.About.com
- NOAA In-situ Ocean Data Viewer Plot and download ocean observations
- NOAA FAQ about the number of oceans