Stephens City, Virginia
|Stephens City, Virginia|
Location in Frederick County, Virginia
|Founded||October 12, 1758|
|Founded by||Lewis Stephens|
|Named for||The Stephens Family|
|• Mayor||Mike Grim|
|• Town Council|
|• Delegate||Mark Berg (R)|
|• VA Senate||Jill Holtzman Vogel (R)|
|• U.S. Congress||Barbara Comstock (R)|
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (4 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||764 ft (233 m)|
|• Estimate (2014)||1,921|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1500159|
History[change | change source]
The German Protestants from Heidelberg, Germany were the founders of the town. Their leader was Peter Stephens. He came from Pennsylvania in 1732. Stephens would buy some land from Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. The land was set out in parcels at first. Later, it was made into "Stephensburgh" in 1758 by Peter's son Lewis.
By the start of the Revolutionary War, "Stephensburg" was often called simply "Newtown".
The town was almost burned by Union forces during the Civil War. This was when Union forces were attacked by Newtown residents. Major Joseph K. Stearns of the 1st New York Cavalry disobeyed an order from a higher ranking General and saved the town.
The town was again renamed "Stephens City" in 1880. This happened after a row with the United States Postal Service.
References[change | change source]
- "Town of Stephens City". Town of Stephens City. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Look Up a ZIP Code". United States Postal Service. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- "Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Demographic Profile Data". United States Census Bureau. 2010. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- Smith, Byron C. "Town History". Newtown History Center in Stephens City, Virginia. Retrieved 2007-11-17.
- "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form" (PDF). United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
Other websites[change | change source]